Rear Horizontal Shocks (1st Gen Toronado)

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Rear Horizontal Shocks (1st Gen Toronado)

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am

Nicholas, tie rods will last the life of the car as long as you keep them lubricated. By that I mean a couple hundred thousand miles. Is your rear end sagging? What makes you think the leaf springs need to be replaced?

Jelonik, the single leaf spring is not available. They sell a four leaf stack to replace the original. If I were you, I'd have the original single leaf re-tensioned. EatonDetroit will do that for you.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

Here's the stack

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/findmyvehicle/

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Ah okay, that’s good to know. Makes me feel a bit less worried about changing it often when it’s a harder part to find. My leaf springs are fine, I was just seeing if I could help Jelonek with his leaf springs.

Jelonek
Years Owned: 1

Postby Jelonek » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 am

Jup… you are right! , I got from USA two just new (in very good condition) four-leaf-stack to replace the original for only 230$ :) and I´m very happy about that. Know I´m very excited, if it would be better than old Setting? - new bushing etc.
Old parts I want to "make like a new" :roll: in Germany in a one historical Horse-drawn carriage Workshop - hand made …
after a long discussion it could be a smoll Problem with the material after so Long time, they can make it with heat etc. but steel as material ist not so good - littel bit soft - than at the first day. So we take a look but at first I have to put old parts down ( with WD40-oil :mrgreen: )

Greeting !! from Nordsee in G

Return to “General Talk”