Randomly acquired '91 toro trefeo.. what am I in for?

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Echo
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1991 Toronado Trefeo

Randomly acquired '91 toro trefeo.. what am I in for?

Postby Echo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm pretty much a new driver (late to the game as I'm 22, but that's besides the point)

A little backstory is that I bought a '89 Pontiac Firebird as a project car but ended up running out of money and it sat there for a while until about a month ago. I picked the project back up this time with a good amount of funding... until I realized that the transmission problem I thought I had fixed ended up being a problem still.

Knowing that I now have to get a new transmission in the Firebird, I figured I shouldn't be learning how to drive in this car with the significant investment that's now going into it. Browsing Craiglist for a bit resulted in my new purchase of a 1991 Toronado Trefeo for $1300, and it seems to be in good shape:

So I have a few questions for you guys:

1) What are some cheap (as in a few hundred dollars max), do-it-yourself-able upgrades that I can make to the car to get me familiar with her?

2) Is there a resource out there that can show me what parts the '91 Toronado is compatible with? Like.. if I wanted to get an aftermarket hood for whatever reason, or (more likely) replace the suspension with good aftermarket shocks and struts, where can I go to see what will work with my Toro? I've done some Googlin', but the information seems to be all over the place or I just don't understand it

3) What is something I can immediately start doing to prolong the life of my '91? i.e. use the super unleaded gas instead of the cheap kind, new fuel injectors(?), things like that?

PS. I really don't know a lot about cars yet. I just read up on wiki about sway bars and struts if that gives you an idea. My profession is in computer programming, so this stuffs a bit different than what I'm used to :lol: . So, don't assume that I know things. Technical terms are fine, I can just google it

PSS. I'm at work so I don't know if they are blocking imgur or if the images are just broken. If they are I will fix when I get home

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Re: Randomly acquired '91 toro trefeo.. what am I in for?

Postby bluecab » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:04 pm

First thing I do is change all the fluids and filters.

You can do this with a floor jack and a pair of jackstands or some drive-on ramps.

While you are under there look around and familiarize yourself with the systems and look for obvious leaks and defects.

Check the rubber parts like brake lines and radiator hoses.

Drive and enjoy!

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 am

Are the brakes and tires safe?
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Echo

Postby Echo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

The tires are really good, they have at least another 10k miles on them. I've driven it around a bit to testi out the brakes and there's no squeaking or unexpected resistance. I haven't looked at the brake pads myself but the guy told me they should be good for a while longer and with no sound coming from there I haven't thought to double-check

The one thing I am worried about is that there's a bit of rusting on my brake lines near the base. It's not too bad but it's enough for me to want to replace them soon-ish

1977 Cutly
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Postby 1977 Cutly » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 am

Echo wrote:The one thing I am worried about is that there's a bit of rusting on my brake lines near the base. It's not too bad but it's enough for me to want to replace them soon-ish

If thats the one thing on your mind, you must have a very nice car. I'd be more concerned about the rubber parts of the brake system. Its not a big deal to replace the entire brake plumbing system at once.

I still can't see those pics!

Echo

Postby Echo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Can we edit posts on this forum? Bonus pictures since I'm late

Also I either don't remember bbcode or [img width="x" height="x"] don't work on this forum so sorry about the image size

1977 Cutly
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 am

what a great driver. That is exactly the kind of car I like to drive. Thanks for the pics, and happy Oldsmobiling
John

DrK
TOA Membership Number: 321

Postby DrK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 pm

You've got one rare and one fine car there; I have a '92 I simply love driving.
I would suggest you run a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner through with a full tank of as.
It's good stuff and I swear by it.
If there's no Chevron near you, GM sels the same stuff as GM Fuel System Cleaner; I the one with the long skinny curved neck/spout on it.
Happy motoring!
Greg 'Dr K' Kennedy
Greg "Dr K" Kennedy
1970 GT | 1981 | 1987 | 1992 Trofeo | 1997 Aurora

Echo

Postby Echo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:41 am

So this, right? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... er-(20-oz-)-chevron_7080568-p#fragment-1

It says every 3,000 miles, in your experience does that seem to be the right amount of time?

Since we're on the subject of fuel, I've been considering using the 'Premium 93' gas. Better gas mileage, better for your engine etc etc. Anyone have first-hand experience with it? Is it worth it?

1977 Cutly
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 am

The techron is good stuff. I'm more concerned with using 100% gas and not 10% ethanol in our older cars.

Return to “Introductions”