New member intro- first post.

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
spank226
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado

Re: New member intro- first post.

Postby spank226 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Yea, not looking forward to that part.

Trouble-shooting the transmission no-shift issue. This is allegedly a rebuild tranny with ~200 miles on it before car was parked. Fluid looks fresh.

I removed the vacuum modulator and pulled out the valve. There was a hint of corrosion on the surface of the raised area that has the bevel cut into it. I cleaned it off with some steel wool and it took nearly no effort.

I also pulled out the governor and was able to flick the weights and see the inside valve body move enough to cover and uncover one of the openings. I'm not sure who far it's supposed to move, but it does move. (How do you get those things out of the lid/top?)

Anyway, after both of those-- still no shift out of first nor will it shift manually.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

New member intro- first post.

Postby bcroe » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:04 pm

spank226 wrote:Yea, not looking forward to that part.

Trouble-shooting the transmission no-shift issue. This is allegedly a rebuild tranny with ~200 miles on it before car was parked. Fluid looks fresh.

I removed the vacuum modulator and pulled out the valve. There was a hint of corrosion on the surface of the raised area that has the bevel cut into it. I cleaned it off with some steel wool and it took nearly no effort.

I also pulled out the governor and was able to flick the weights and see the inside valve body move enough to cover and uncover one of the openings. I'm not sure who far it's supposed to move, but it does move. (How do you get those things out of the lid/top?)

Anyway, after both of those-- still no shift out of first nor will it shift manually.

The most likely causes of no shift are manifold vacuum not connected to modulator, or
governor gear stripped. Getting it out of the can is easy enough (with a saw), the issue is
getting it back in. I have tried to design a machined 2 piece cover using a conventional O
ring installation seal, but not built yet.

Also check the electric kick down isn't sending 12V to the trans continuously, the lower vertically
oriented prong if you have 2. Then go for the valve body. Bruce Roe

spank226
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado

Re: New member intro- first post.

Postby spank226 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 pm

yea, it was the 12V thing to the downshift solenoid that was causing the "problem"-- I related in another thread but appreciate you posting that confirmation here as well.

I more-or-less met my time goal and enjoyed my first real outing in 'er up in Sonoma. Some teething pains, but that's to be expected when resurrecting a car neglected/abandoned for 10 years and doing it on a pretty limited budget.

Some pics:

Return to “Introductions”