New member in Colorado

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Zeppelin
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

New member in Colorado

Postby Zeppelin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 am

hey Guys,
Thanks for having me join the forum. Its been a 9 year dream of owning an American Muscle car. and I've finally got my hands on one! I am slightly Mechanically inclined I understand how things work and operate but lack the hands on experience. I have high hopes of honing my mechanic skills over the course of owning this car. I do body work and Paint, and boy does my girl need it. i picked up a 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado unmolested all original and according to the title has 79k original miles the dash reads 94k the title is 5 years old. its believable because the original pedals are not worn and the dash is immaculate.... all the knobs... all the lights work.... all the gauges work, door panels are fantastic.... seats need to be replaced/reupholstered the head liner is great except the threads are rotting out. no cancer on the body, straight as an arrow. the engine runs with no knock or smoke,(had to replace carb and starter) still have original owners manual and options booklet in fantastic condition. looking to revamp back to original with a twist of custom on paint and upholstery... i ask a lot of questions even if i know the answer just to avoid screw ups. but I'm happy to be here and thank you for all future help and advice... and first question is what should i do and or keep and eye out for in my first month of owning this car? and what are some flaws to watch out for?

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: New member in Colorado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:45 am

Generally speaking, for any used car I purchase I do the following whether it needs it or not.

First: Buy a factory service manual

Change oil and filter
Flush and refill cooling system
Install new spark plugs, wires, points and condenser, distributor cap and rotor
Check timing and adjust if necessary
Replace PCV valve
Check/replace air cleaner
Check differential fluid level
Grease all steering and suspension fittings.
Check the brake shoes and drums for wear, etc.
Check brake hoses and replace if necessary - since the car has low mileage its quite possible that parts like brake hoses have been in place since new and could be brittle or worn with age.
Check and replace radiator hoses if necessary - spongey feel, or swollen at clamps means replace
Replace belts if necessary. Look for dry rot or cracking along the edges.
Inspect the fuel lines - hard to do on these cars because they're inside the frame - pay special attention to the rubber portions at the fuel tank and fuel pump look for cracking, loose clamps, etc.
Make sure radiator cap is correct pressure according to manual
Check gas cap - sounds silly but someone replaced my cap with a vented cap and the manual specifically calls for a non vented cap. This resulted in fuel under pressure oozing out of the cap's vent hole and making a mess, stinking up the car, etc. If cap is correct, make sure it fits and seals tightly.
Inspect exhaust system for leaks, rust, bad hangers, pipes contacting the frame, etc.
Check tires - How old are they? Look for date code on sidewall

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am also in Colorado, so congrats! I have a '68 and a '69 I've done a lot of work on, so feel free to hit me up with questions. If you haven't already, get your VIN/body plate and some photos to us so we can check the database we keep of first gen Toros. PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Otto's list is great. I'd add it to check the CV boots. They are notorious for leaking lube either by the boots ripping or the bands loosening.

Check, as much as you can, the heater core as they love to get clogged and/or leak. The core isn't hard to get to, just awkward and well hidden inside the heater box!

Have fun!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:28 pm

One more thing... getting a factory assembly from Lynn Davis is also well worth it! Contact me for more info.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Welcome,
Have a look at the Olds section in Wild About Cars.com, lots of great factory information there, live or PDF that can be saved and printed.

David

Return to “Introductions”