Howdy from Houston - 66 Deluxe

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
Janice66Toro
TOA Membership Number: 1605
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe

Howdy from Houston - 66 Deluxe

Postby Janice66Toro » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:21 pm

Hi There -
I'm Janice in Houston. My Dad gave me his 66 Deluxe a few months ago and I had it shipped from my hometown near Cleveland, OH to my current location in Houston area. My father was going to sell the car to some random for $5k and I said 'absolutely not!' - so that's how i got her. She was restored about 25 years ago but has basically not been driven since then.

There's a huge list of things to get through - but so far i've bypassed the heater core after smoke from the dash. I met John Dorcey and got a replacement Core and water valve, so that will happen at some point.

The bigger issue is that the brakes went out on me tonight! found some fluid on the garage floor. hopefully just a leak.
Planning on a brake upgrade to dual cylinder or disc sometime soon.....

have any good shop recommendations in the Houston area?

Glad to be here, thx for having me,
Janice
toro.jpg
toro.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
toro1.JPG
toro1.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 3353 times

Chieftan95
TOA Membership Number: 256
Years Owned: 1969, 1972, 1974

Re: Howdy from Houston - 66 Deluxe

Postby Chieftan95 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Hello Janice...Welcome! Good to have you in the club, and the owner of a prized vehicle. The only thing better than a Toronado story is one with a family connection. Good On You! for saving your Dad's gem. You're lucky to have such a find.

I'm not in the Houston area...so I can't recommend any shops, but I have heard about "Miles and Miles Of Texas," so once you get it all fixed-up you'll have a sweet ride. Those plans for disc brakes will be a nice improvement. The current issues all sound like the result of not being used for awhile. You'll get them all fixed and be cruising soon enough. Again, WELCOME!

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Howdy from Houston - 66 Deluxe

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:49 am

Hi Janice.

I'm also from Cleveland but have lived in Atlanta since high school.

Don't be fooled into believing the myth that disc brakes are an upgrade. Many believe that stopping power will be increased and stopping distance will be shortened. In reality, disc brakes may lengthen stopping distance.

The sole advantage disc brakes have over drum brakes is that they don't overheat and fade as easily during repeated , high speed, panic stops.

Unless you're auto crossing your vehicle or standing on the brakes while driving down Pike's Peak, you will not benefit from disc brakes. Consider the fact that dump trucks and semi trucks all use drum brakes rather than disc brakes. With drums there is more material making contact to create the friction to stop a car.

You also have to consider that discs were not offered on '66 Toros so you'll have to source all the parts, including a new set of wheels from a 1967 Toro. Your hubcaps and trim rings won't fit on the '67 wheels either.

A dual reservoir master cylinder isn't a bad idea but virtually every car I own (1950 Chevy truck, 1939 Packard, 1964 Galaxie 500, 1966 Mustang, 1956 Cadillac) except my 1979 Ford pickup, has a single reservoir m/c. I have never experienced a problem or loss of braking power in my entire life and have never owned a modern car.

With antique cars the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," is something to seriously consider. You will open a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened.

Have the brakes repaired and operating correctly and you will have no problems.

Return to “Introductions”