Reproduction parts

All parts for sale may be listed here by forum members.
deaddds
TOA Membership Number: 8
Years Owned: 3 66s, 4 67s, 68, 2 70s, 81, 99

Reproduction parts

Postby deaddds » Fri May 27, 2011 6:53 pm

I will be heading to the TanTar resort meet in MO next week, Homecoming in 3 weeks, and Reno in July. If anyone is interested in any of the lenses I have listed in the classifieds, contact me at dead@mchsi.com and I can deliver to these meets. To those that have inquired over the last couple months, I HAVE to have an address for shipping quotes. If you do not reply to this request, I don't know where to obviously send said parts. Regards Pat

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: Reproduction parts

Postby janeg » Sat May 28, 2011 3:25 am

Hi Pat - sounds like you sre not going to Branson?
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

deaddds

Postby deaddds » Mon May 30, 2011 3:41 am

Oops, I'm an idiot. Forgot to add Branson. I get in Wednesday around noon.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon May 30, 2011 6:30 am

Since you have 68 backup lenses ready, how about the full set of lenses for this car? Is it just not a big enough market? I have a general idea what must go into reproducing lenses, but I am not sure what the tooling costs are in real life... :?:
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Postby janeg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:54 am

so glad you are going to Branson - see you there!!!!
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

deaddds

Postby deaddds » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I would love to repop the parking/corner bumper lenses but need someone to step up and offer the use of their NOS set. Finding used ones not cracked is virtually impossible. John Dorcey has a limited run of the rear taillights for sale. You have to supply the stainless strip that screws onto the lens. Regards

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:56 am

Hmmm.... I might be able to help. I have to inspect mine, but I have a set of four that should yield at least two good parts. These were preserved for more than 20 years at my parents old house where I grew up. My aunt & uncle purchased it in '91 and when he passed last year the house went up for sale. I had an old friend scour the place and all he came up with was four lenses.

Can you tell me what the procedure is and maybe, if mine turn out good enough, I can send them over to you? What do I get back? If you want to email me in private to continue this discussion by all means feel free to.

deaddds

Postby deaddds » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 am

The gist is an impression mold is made, and then they use it for pouring the new material to make the new part. Problem is, even with NOS, if there is a booger ANTWHERE in the original part, it will reproduce. So ultimately, it needs to be scratch free and as close to perfect as possible. We all know even NOS usually has a problem but guys can get upset if a part is not concours perfect so it has to be a very good part. I haven't sent the shop one of these to get their opinion yet for cost or difficulty to repop as I've not been able to find an excellent set. I used NOS originals for the 66/7 parking lenses and got the originals back same as they left.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 am

Well, I took a look at my lenses and there are certainly places where there is crazing. I suspect that only cracks that actually can be felt on the surface matter, so I will go over them again to see if any will work.

Return to “For Sale: Parts”