Aluminum 2-piston calipers

This category includes shocks, ball joints, idler arms, steering gear, brake shoes, drums, master cylinder, etc.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Aluminum 2-piston calipers

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 am

Looks like Wilwood produces an interesting upgrade for '69 and later single piston cast iron calipers based on the standardization that GM is known for. While I have not used these, I am very likely to consider them for next year's winter garage time when I will take my second pass at the car. The aluminum 2 piston design should perform better and look much better than the stock brakes. I will let you know if I end up buying a set.

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK ... option=All Disc Brake Spindle

I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Aluminum 2-piston calipers

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Aren't two-piston less desireable than single-piston? I thought they were more prone to problems.
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:44 pm

You are thinking of the old Kelsey Hayes quad piston units from 67-68 which were said to be less good - although I had a set on my '68 many years ago that I rebuilt, and they worked fine.

As for these units, the two smaller pistons produce equal or greater pressure area in a wider zone. Modern brakes go all the way up to 6 and 8 piston units and virtually all high performance calipers are at least quad piston - e.g. modern Corvettes and the like. It is reasonable to assume these are a significant improvement over the original as they will also dissipate heat better due to the use of aluminum in the caliper body.

Besides, they sure do look trick, eh? 8-)

I could swear I just wrote that in my other post... my lines are getting a bit stale here. :oops: But it is so true! :)

Edit: A good read on the subject:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/38800/TwinPiston.aspx

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Huh, neat, thanks forthe info. I'm really jusy learning into this stuff. All my cars are 86 or older, and have single-piston callipurs. I'lloke throigh that artical when I get home.

Also, as to them being pretty, I think they'd be better without that silly logo :P
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I actually kinda like the logo, although I can understand your point of view. I decided I will buy one late next month, see for sure that it fits, then buy the second one. I figure the time is now since I have brand new cross-drilled and slotted rotors and they should be able to use the stock pads.

Turns out they are $165 each at Summit Racing which is not that bad at all. I will report back my findings when I confirm they fit.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am

Got the calipers in yesterday and did a quick sanity check and they appear to fit just fine. They sure are nice parts and I am really looking forward to reporting back on how well they perform!

Return to “Suspension, Brakes & Steering”