Questions re backup lamp/ neutral safety switch

Post your technical questions and information here.
sz3gfj
TOA Membership Number: 0

Questions re backup lamp/ neutral safety switch

Postby sz3gfj » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:44 pm

So, I'm not getting 12v to the backup lamp circuit when the shift handle is in reverse. I suspect this might be an issue with the backup lamp/ neutral safety switch. I see in the manuals that this switch mounts to the steering column through a slot in the outer tube, just inside of the firewall pass-through, and appears to be attached to the column with two screws. I haven't looked at it yet to see how tough it is to access.

Is there a way to check the functions of this switch without removing it? From pictures I have seen online, it appears to have slotted mounting holes that may allow a small bit of adjustment. Pictures I have seen don't show how it engages the shift mechanism.

Can the switch be accessed and removed without dropping or removing the steering column?

Does anyone have a diagram showing connections on the switch? In the pictures I have seen, the switch appears to have four spade lug contacts. On the left side, the inner (closest to steering column) contact appears to have the contact blade horizontal, and the outer contact blade appears to be vertical. On the right side, both contact blades appear to be horizontal.

Any info, suggestions, or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Questions re backup lamp/ neutral safety switch

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:25 am

I can't answer your questions but my backup lights weren't working either.

I discovered that the circuit had a bad ground connection.

sz3gfj

Re: Questions re backup lamp/ neutral safety switch

Postby sz3gfj » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:04 am

Turned out to be a switch adjustment issue. I used an ohm meter to check the connection, shifted to reverse, and moved the switch until the circuit connected. Now everything works!

I also found that on one of my backup lamp housings, there was no ground connection between the lamp socket and the lamp housing. I connected a jumper from the lamp socket to a housing mounting screw, and that solved the ground connection problem.

Return to “Technical Talk”