Aftermarket wheels for early Toronados

Post your technical questions and information here.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Aftermarket wheels for early Toronados

Postby bluecab » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Any information anyone can provide in terms of fitment for series one cars will be appreciated.
Diameter, Width, Offset, Backspacing, Manufacturer and Tire size.
All information appreciated.

Thanks

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: Aftermarket wheels for early Toronados

Postby toro_mike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 pm

http://www.breznick.com/toronado/wheels/

This site has a ton of information on this topic.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 am

Yes, it does and I have read it a few times.
The conclusion that we are stuck with the factory steel wheels in chrome or paint or a ebay search for the Western multi spokes is just not acceptable to me.
I have searched for 5 x 5 wheels in high offset and find that 2 wheel drive Chevy trucks, the Chrysler Pacifica and the Jeep Grand Cherokee all share the correct bolt circle and are available in the aftermarket.
The factory wheels do not have the stance that I am looking for and in looking at Dave Breznick's site it's clear that a few Toro owners have found modern wheels.
At this point I am thinking I will buy a Percy's Wheelrite gauge to measure the wheel wells as I would like to run a 18 x 8 or 18 x 9.
I was just hoping somebody in the TOA had already been down this road, but I'll be happy to do the research and report back.
Thanks

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 am

I did not mean to torpedo this discussion with my last post.
I still welcome any comments or experiences in regard to wheel fitment.
Got to wonder if any TOA members have bought one of these cars seen on eBay?

David

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed May 01, 2013 10:47 am

I too would love to be able to make a choice on wheels. If you find anything then by all means please let us know.

One thing that has crossed my mind would be to see if we could find a custom wheel house that might be able to produce a design that allows them to use their standard center sections with a custom rim section that has the proper offsets. This would allow them to economize on the center section which supports different styles while using a common rim section.

Perhaps if we as a group were to commit to enough orders we might be able to interest one of the custom wheel houses. I will see if I can find anyone that might be able to do this and let you all know. If any of you know of any such custom houses then you should contact them to see if this is a practical concept.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Wed May 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, sure X,
Modular wheels that come as a center and separate inner and outer rims can be had easy.
Used to use them in my sportscar racing days, BBS, Ronal etc.
Hugely expensive! and totally customizable, but at the price it's a non-starter for me as my Toro is sort of a budget build and I don't really like the complicated look of most modulars.
A friend of mine is bringing over a set of 17"s that came off a Jeep grand cherokee ( that rotted out from under him). I'll see how those work as a temporary fix to just roll the chassis around the garage.
My engine is still at the machine shop being fitted for hydraulic roller lifters....

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Wed May 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Yeah, Checked one of the racing equipment sites;
Modulars are $600 to $1000 EACH!
But... they come in any offset, width and bolt circle.
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I am not familiar with the market aside from knowing that they exist. My hope was that we might be able to come up with enough business to make the rim worthwhile and then use stock centers.

But as you say, budgets may not support this. It is so easy to wish...
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 am

Finally got a little time in the garage and put together the "Wheel-Rite" tool I bought to measure the wheel wells and suspension clearances.
My car is up on stands and I need the measurement from the hub center to the lip of the fender directly above the hub. Both front and rear.
Preferably on a car with tires that are the closest size to the stock height.
Maybe a few people could chime in and I will be able to average the measurements..
Thanks!

bluecab

Postby bluecab » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am

BTT
Anybody?

Return to “Technical Talk”