transmission wiring '67 help please

Post your technical questions and information here.
spank226
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado

transmission wiring '67 help please

Postby spank226 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 am

Rodents ate much of the wiring and, while I do have a big orange 1967 manual, I'm not finding what I need.

Background: allegedly rebuilt transmission, did ~ 200 miles, then car parked 8-12 years. I removed/checked governor and vacuum modulator valve and they appear to be functional, although I have no benchmark other than what I've seen on the internet. Trans won't shift out of first gear. Makes no hint that it even wants to shift whether I manually select L and S or if I leave it in D up to about 35 mph. I've confirmed vacuum at the port on the carb and on the trans connection.

There is a black and a green wire, running as a pair, coming from the carb linkage on the driver side that I believe is kickdown wiring. There is about 6 inches of wire and then nothing. I cannot locate where that wiring may have once run to. There is also a single black wire also plugged into the kickdown linkage mechanism but it too is chewed away and there is no indication as to where it once ran.

In the service manual in the transmission disassembly section, there appears to be a 2-prong plug down on the transmission but the actual transmission only has one prong plug down by the vacuum modulator and the factory wiring diagram only shows a single orange wire leading down the transmission.

There was a black wire with an orange tracer that was part of the wiring that came out on the passenger side harness near the firewall. I assumed this was the wire (12V) that runs down to the single spade terminal on the transmission so I made that connection, but now I'm second guessing that. (as I said, in the manual wiring diagram it shows a single orange wire going to the transmission)

Can anyone help me identify where these wires need to terminate (and if possibly these are the reason the transmission wont' shift out of first)?

Thanks

orman_s
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

Re: transmission wiring '67 help please

Postby orman_s » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:01 am

Sorry I can't provide any pictures or diagrams...but if I recall correctly, the wires coming off the kickdown actually go into the bellhousing.

Sorry I cant be more help. Just going off memory.

spank226

Postby spank226 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am

Ok, whoopsies! looks like the Black wire with Orange tracer that I connected directly to the transmission is to go to the kickdown switch mounted on the linkage.

I noticed today in the bright daylight that there is a single wire terminal on the kickdown and it isn't black but is instead black with an orange tracer-- so that could be part of my problem that I had 12V hooked directly into the transmission.

Now I need to figure out where the 2-wire plug (one black one green) going / coming off the kickdown needs to connect. There's a hole in the firewall with gnaw marks on it and no wire passing through it that looks suspiciously like it needed to pass through there...

hmmm.

spank226

Postby spank226 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:44 am

Putting 12V directly into the transmission was not a good idea. I'm pretty sure that was preventing the transmission from shifting up out of first. Looking at the repair manual, when there's 12V going to the solenoid then the transmission is in a forced downshift. In my case, I was in a forced "hold". Car drives well without any downshift wire hooked up so I'll leave it like that.

Return to “Technical Talk”