Possible LOW Oil Pressure Problem

Post your technical questions and information here.
brian66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby brian66toro » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 pm

About a month ago I purchased a 66 Toro with 64,000 miles on it.

The car has an oil light on when fully warmed up at a low idle, like at a light in drive, foot on brake.
Actually, the idle feels a bit high.

Today I decided to check this further. I installed a pressure gauge with an oil line, not an electronic sender.

I started the car cold and while at about 2500 rpm it was showing about 40 lbs, 25 at idle.

As it warmed up the pressure went down to about 5-8 lbs at hot idle in drive, foot on brake. Apparently this was low enough to turn on the light.

I was told by the former owner that he changed out the sender and put in fresh 10-40 oil and a new filter and the problem remained.

I drained the oil out tonight and it ran out of there like water, splattering all over my drainpan and the floor. It was like water. Did NOT smell like gas, which we know can thin the oil.

I am going to try Lucas 20-50 high zinc oil in it tomorrow with a fresh filter.

Are these engines known for low pressure? I am also looking into a small USB inspection camera that looks small enough to fit in the oil drain plug opening and might try to look inside to see if there is sludge or nylon pieces blocking the pickup.

Pulling the engine to drop the pan would be a major pain.

Any thoughts? This is my first Olds, all my other rides are Caddy's.

Thanks,

Brian

NRGF
TOA Membership Number: 40
Years Owned: 1969

Re: Possible LOW Oil Pressure Problem

Postby NRGF » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42 am

I had the same low oil light when hot problem on my 69, after changing the oil to Castrol Classic 20/50 and a new filter the problem disappeared.

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

No doubt the problem is worn out bearings. The problem will probably
keep getting worse till more serious damage occurs. You might put off
an overhaul for a while by installing a high (20% extra for Olds) volume
oil pump and high strength pump shaft. Don't bother trying to increase
the pressure release spring, it won't be opening in your car.

Removing the engine isn't all that bad; at least yours isn't fuel injected
like my 79 Eldo/403. Yes you have to support the trans/final drive, and
slide the engine forward enough to clear the bell housing. Far as I am
concerned, the biggest problem is dealing with the hood. Bruce Roe

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:58 pm

I already bought some Lucas high zinc 20-50 and will be giving that a shot.

At 64,000 miles, unless there is crap in the pan and the engine was starved for oil and did some damage, I wouldn't expect bearings to go bad in 64,000 miles.\

I do respect your opinion and if I need to pull the engine I will, but probably not for a while.

Thanks,

Brian

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 am

brian66toro wrote: about 5-8 lbs at hot idle in drive, foot on brake. Apparently this was low enough to turn on the light.

No problem exists. All my rocket v8s were under 10 psi, at low idle at stop signs.

Quit worrying, your car is normal.
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

brian66toro

Postby brian66toro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

With the 20-50 oil, the pressure is slightly higher at hot idle.

The car makes no noises and does run great, but now the oil pressure light flickers, not on bright, at a hot idle in "D". Gauge shows about 10-12, when I hook up the light it comes on.

Wrong sender maybe?

Brian

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:02 pm

brian66toro wrote:With the 20-50 oil, the pressure is slightly higher at hot idle.

The car makes no noises and does run great, but now the oil pressure light flickers, not on bright, at a hot idle in "D". Gauge shows about 10-12, when I hook up the light it comes on.

Wrong sender maybe?

Brian

I've had new senders go bad right away. your gauge shows good pressure, so I would try a new light sender. I think your engine is fine, if your gauge is trusty. You said it runs n sounds good, oil starved motors start making noise.

Double checking that it is the correct sender is a good idea too.
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Filters and sending units aside how long have you had the car! Has the timing chain / gears been changed? In doing so was the pan and in particular the strainer cleaned out?

Here are photos of cam sprocket and where the plastic ended up! Sorry about the size but you get the idea.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 16087 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (477.78 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (484.22 KiB) Viewed 16087 times
Bill
TOA #1

bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Postby bcroe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm

69W34 wrote:Filters and sending units aside how long have you had the car! Has the timing chain / gears been changed? In doing so was the pan and in particular the strainer cleaned out?

Here are photos of cam sprocket and where the plastic ended up! Sorry about the size but you get the idea.

Any V8 Toro needs a new timing chain set by now, those pictures are pretty typical. Yes
it could be a plugged oil pickup, and that will be most damaging at higher rpm. Change
the chain, if the plastic is in the pan, pull it it & clean it up. It will be easy to add a
high volume pump at that point.

My favorite Olds engine (403 Toro) idles at 40 psi. Turning on the oil light IS BAD!
Bruce Roe

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm

20w-50 is a good choice for old engines that have a lot of wear. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd keep monitoring it, though.

Don't go drag racing it. Pull the cover off as suggested if it's keeping you up nights but I'd try to enjoy it as is for now.

Return to “Technical Talk”