'67 Turn Signal Switch

Post your technical questions and information here.
rt_toro_67
TOA Membership Number: 750
Years Owned: 1967

'67 Turn Signal Switch

Postby rt_toro_67 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi All,

I acquired my '67 with inoperative brake, tail and turn lights. Thanks to a very tekkie friend, we were able to test back and determine whatever is the problem is within the turn signal switch in the steering column. No surprise to anyone here as this seems to be a common problem from what I've read.

Thank God I was able to find a column with what is touted to be a tested and working turn signal switch.

We have a question, though. We pulled the steering wheel and got to the point where we were able to see the TS switch (see photo). The Chilton's states that once at this point, all it takes is to set the turn signal lever to the right position and the switch should pull right out. No way in hell is that correct....as you can see in the photo there is a lip on the steering column and there was no way to pull the switch out no matter how we tried to pry and pull.

We wanted to get the switch out to inspect and test all the contacts, but we found no way to get it out.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this? We thought that there must be some way to take off the moving sleeve that moves with the transmission gear shift lever, and get to it that way somehow, but we also could find no way to disassemble that.

Thanks in advance.

Roy T
TOA #750

ts_1.jpg
ts_1.jpg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 12907 times

69W34

Re: '67 Turn Signal Switch

Postby 69W34 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:06 pm

First what is the column in the car tilt and telescoping or fixed then is the column with the replacement switch fixed tilt and telescoping or fixed. Lastly what did it come out of model and
year not all of the there were variances between division and years.
Bill
TOA #1

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 am

Hi Bill, thanks for being willing to help.

Both my column and the replacement column are from '67 with tilt and telescoping and cornering lights. I have no way of knowing exactly what my replacement column came out of, other than to say for certain it does have tilt and is telescoping.

Before even talking about the replacement column, really the question is how to pull the switch out of the column in the car. The photo is of the column in the car. As mentioned even though the Chilton's says to set the turn signal arm in one direction and it should pull right out, as can be seen in the photo the switch is wedged far wide of the lip on the column and we found absolutely no way to pull or pry it out.

We thought there had to be some way to disassemble the sleeve that moves with the gear shift and remove the switch from the bottom somehow, but we also found no logical way to disassemble the column from the bottom up rather than top down.

Thanks again Bill.

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am

Ok good I happen to have a 67 til/tel so I'll look at it over in the next day or so
Bill
TOA #1

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:36 am

Any insight from anyone on how to pull the TS switch out of the column? It looks like the photo I posted previously disappeared, I can upload it again if needed.

Thanks in advance.

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:38 pm

rt_toro_67 wrote:Any insight from anyone on how to pull the TS switch out of the column? It looks like the photo I posted previously disappeared, I can upload it again if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, please do upload it again. The server had some issues and pictures disappeared. I'll poke Bill to get him back on this! He's a forgetful old codger :)
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Well after looking at my columns I am of the opinion that what you have is an odd ball something that is not 67 toro related. Now keep in mind previous to your taking possession of it (column or car with column loaded in it) you have no way of knowing exactly where it started out in life.
That rolled lip is not what is found on 67 toros .... further I would consult 66-67-68 factory service manuals for photos and descriptions.

Good luck
Bill
TOA #1

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 am

Thank you for your insight, I'm trying to re-attach the photo here, hopefully it won't disappear. Of course it's possible that someone put a whole new column in that is not from a '67, but I have to say that the wheel definitely looks the same, and the switch plug looks the same as what is indicated on my wiring diagram.

You can see the lip on the photo, again the Chilton's said it should pull right out, but absolutely there is no way we are able to pry this past the lip.

Any resources on finding a '67 shop/service manual online? I think I may have found one on CD-ROM, which is fine, but it also says "parts manual" so I hope it's actually a shop/service manual.

Thanks much, once again.

ts_1.jpg
ts_1.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 12821 times

rt_toro_67

Postby rt_toro_67 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 am

After looking at the photo more myself, pay particular attention to the right side of the photo, you can definitely see how the right side of the switch is well under this lip and as you can imagine without breaking the switch there is no way to bend it to get it clear from the lip.

Thanks again, Bill and Mike.

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am

One might consider that someone modified (rolled) that edge down to except the 67 style steering wheel this kind of stuff goes on all with unintended consequences the modifier never though of.
Bill
TOA #1

Return to “Technical Talk”