You're gonna think I'm retarded.

Post your technical questions and information here.
thisnamesgood
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 69

You're gonna think I'm retarded.

Postby thisnamesgood » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

Hi everyone,
New guy here with what is probably a ridiculous idea born out of frustration. I decided a while back that I wanted to get a cool 60’s car to make my daily driver. I really liked the look of the 68-69 toronadoes but I wasn’t set on any particular car, I just wanted cool and old. I stumbled on my 69 that runs good and only cost me about 30% of what other cars of that era and condition were going for so I jumped on it without doing much research.

Well, as you are all aware, finding parts or even manuals for these things are a huge headache that I didn’t anticipate and I’m afraid I’m going to grow to hate my car when I have to start fixing stuff on it and can’t get parts. Also, one of the first things I absolutely wanted to do is change it over to disc brakes, but I don’t think I have the patience or determination to track down and assemble the Frankenstein parts to get it done.

So here’s my big (probably retarded) idea. Other Old’s of that time like 442’s and Cutlass’s have a lot more parts available. How feasible would it be to convert my toro to rear wheel drive and convert to disc brakes? Does anyone know if I could put the front and rear end of a cutlass or 442 in my toro? Would they be wide enough? I realize I would have to make room in the floor for a driveshaft etc . Since this is such a heavy car would parts from those vehicles be strong enough? How much weight would I lose by getting rid of the giant FWD parts?
Has anyone done this?

I haven’t started researching yet, I just thought maybe someone here would know enough about them to be able to squash the idea or tell me if it’s even possible. I hope this doesn’t piss anyone off too much, and please don’t hold back if this is the stupidest idea ever. Thanks for the input.

69W34

Re: You're gonna think I'm retarded.

Postby 69W34 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:45 pm

I don't know about the mental limitation, but right off it requires very very deep pockets just ask Jay Leno he converted a 66 to rear drive with of help from GM with a component or two. Non the less very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, money aside The problems that will be encountered are far beyond most shops, so yes it can be done the bigger question is why?
If it the parts is the issue there out there you'll just have dig deep and be resourceful in looking for parts.
As for fun Toros are really hard to beat.
Bill
TOA #1

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Regarding the disk brake conversion, you'll find plenty of information on this site and other member's sites (I would just goodle "toronado disk brake conversion").

On the RWD part... I would buy a Riviera. FWD is one of the things that make Toronados unique. Unless you are set on a Toronado, I would pick a car that fits your needs/wants more closely. After you are done converting one, you'll be well over the acquisition cost of other comparable RWD cars of the time.

My $0.02
Mikel

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 am

Why the requirement for disc brakes? A well tuned set of drum brakes with good quality parts will work just fine (unless you drive like a bat out of hell and brake at the last minute all the time)! My 1969 Ninety Eight and my old '68 Toro were drum and I never had a problem stopping, even in a panic.

Re: parts - All tune-up parts are readily available for the ubiquitous 455 and the TH425 shares 90% of the parts of a TH400, manuals can be had on CD from Detroit Iron and paper from eBay and vintage literature dealers. Body panels and other one-off parts unique to the Toros and bright work are challenging but not worth getting in a fit about.

Good luck! Let us know what you do and what help you need!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

toro68
TOA Membership Number: 102
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado, silver owned since Dec1986/Jan 1987 to present
1968 W-34 Toronado (totaled 3/9/03), blue, owned since August 1994
1968 W-34 Torondo, gold, loaded with many rare options, owned since 2003
1968 W-34 Toronado, red, bought in Nov/Dec of 2005, Was Lot#609 for Barrett-Jackson auction, March of 2005 . Firdst two "owners", was GM employees. I'm still in contact with Bob B. (OLds Zone Rep for North CArolina, retired 1992).

I aslos have a white 1985 Buick Riveria, that I would like to trade for another Toronado, or an old Ford pick-up truck.

Postby toro68 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:04 pm

69W34 wrote:I don't know about the mental limitation, but right off it requires very very deep pockets just ask Jay Leno he converted a 66 to rear drive with of help from GM with a component or two. Non the less very $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, money aside The problems that will be encountered are far beyond most shops, so yes it can be done the bigger question is why?
If it the parts is the issue there out there you'll just have dig deep and be resourceful in looking for parts.
As for fun Toros are really hard to beat.

Back in 1968, Hurst converted a brand new Olds 442 to front wheel drive (using 1968 Toro drivetran of course)!

Return to “Technical Talk”