68 Vacuum / Carb Questions

Post your technical questions and information here.
stsundance
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado

68 Vacuum / Carb Questions

Postby stsundance » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Guys, glad I found this site! I've always wanted a Toronado, and just purchased a '68, in relatively good condition about a month ago. The carburetor was seeping out at the gasket points, and it was running way rich, so I figured I would rebuild the carb. I took it off/apart, got new gaskets on it, and put it back on. There was a crack in the upper plate, so I can't be sure it sealed right, but it's not seeping out anyway. My issue, however, is now in barely runs. I broke one of the vacuum lines and connector when re-installing the carb, so I replaced the "T" connector and vacuum lines. Here's where I'm at...I reset the gas/air mix on the carb, checked the idle, and checked all the rest of the vacuum lines. It barely starts, and when running it's so rough it's actually shaking, and blowing big old puffs of blue smoke out the back, from too much fuel in the mix, or no air. It's acting like it's out of time, though I didn't touch the timing, so I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't compensate for the leaking carb by messing with the other settings (vacuum lines, timing, mix, etc.). I guess my questions come down to this:

1. I can't find the Rochester Quadrajet carburetors for sale new anywhere, do they still make them? If not, can you guys suggest a good alternative?

2. I have no shop manual for this car, does anybody have a vacuum diagram for the 455? I would hate to start tearing it apart looking for timing issues or something else if it's just that they "adjusted" the vacuum lines.

Anyway, I'm new here (and to the Toronado world) and I would appreciate any advice I can get here.

Thank you,
Matthew

Stubbe
TOA Membership Number: 173

Re: 68 Vacuum / Carb Questions

Postby Stubbe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Welcome Mathew,

The man you need to talk to is Sparky he is a member here and the expert on these matters

http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/

Good luck with the carb.

Mike
Mike AKA Stubbe

TOA 173
1966 Deluxe

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Welcome Matthew! I second the Sparky recommendation. He's the best there is.

Secondly, GET a service manual!! I can't stress how critical this is. They are on eBay all the time as well as the usual auto lit sites, like autolit.com! I'll see if I have a scan of the '68 vacuum lines handy for you.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm not finding my service manual right now and am heading for Hershey tomorrow morning. Hopefully somebody else can step up. If somebody does, I'll post them to the TOA FAQ site.

I should also advise that you pick up the Factory Toronado Assembly Manual. Lynn Davis makes them available: ildavis@networksplus.net.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

stsundance
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado

Postby stsundance » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks Mike!

Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Postby Graniteman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Just noticed this, did you get this fixed stsundance?
TOA # 70

Return to “Technical Talk”