'68 headlamp switch and A/C switch

Post your technical questions and information here.
68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

'68 headlamp switch and A/C switch

Postby 68 Toro » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 pm

My mechanic removed my 1968 Toronado dashboard to work on the A/C switch.

He removed vacuum lines from the headlamp switch but did not mark them. Now he is requesting a diagram. Hopefully somebody can describe the sequence of the vacuum lines on the headlamp switch or provide a diagram.

My old A/C fan speed thumbwheel switch never worked in the high position, which is desparately needed here in Miami. Last year I bought a "NOS" replacement. This "new" one works in the low and high position, but neither middle position. My mechanic suspects a faulty resistor or a bad "NOS" switch. Does anybody have the resistor part number, or any advice regarding the thumbwheel switch. I have the electrical wiring diagram which shows a "blower resistor" but no further information about it.

It has been awhile since I posted anything on this forum. Best wishes to everybody, and to everybody's Toronado.
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

tadmin
Site Admin

Re: '68 headlamp switch and A/C switch

Postby tadmin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 am

68 Toro wrote:My mechanic removed my 1968 Toronado dashboard to work on the A/C switch.

He removed vacuum lines from the headlamp switch but did not mark them. Now he is requesting a diagram. Hopefully somebody can describe the sequence of the vacuum lines on the headlamp switch or provide a diagram.

My old A/C fan speed thumbwheel switch never worked in the high position, which is desparately needed here in Miami. Last year I bought a "NOS" replacement. This "new" one works in the low and high position, but neither middle position. My mechanic suspects a faulty resistor or a bad "NOS" switch. Does anybody have the resistor part number, or any advice regarding the thumbwheel switch. I have the electrical wiring diagram which shows a "blower resistor" but no further information about it.

It has been awhile since I posted anything on this forum. Best wishes to everybody, and to everybody's Toronado.

If nobody responds by the time I get home, I will check my 68 service manual and scan the page with the vacuum diagrams for you. It's shocking the mechanic did not spend 5 minutes labeling the hoses. Any amateur knows to do that :roll:

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

68 Toro
TOA Membership Number: 99
Years Owned: 1968

Postby 68 Toro » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Thank you very much Mike.

Looking at the image you posted, I see that it is figure 11E-15.

Now I indeed found it in my '68 Olds Chassis Service Manual, which is sitting on my bookshelf.

I looked for it before, but was unable to find any reference to this particular system. That's because it is located in the chapter for Chassis Sheet Metal !!

Thank you again.
Dave B.
1968 Toronado
Miami, FL
TOA # 99

Return to “Technical Talk”