Distributor Cap/Spark Plug Wires

Post your technical questions and information here.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Distributor Cap/Spark Plug Wires

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:09 pm

The grease doesn't hurt. I sometimes use it and sometimes don't. If the boots fit nice and tight you're not likely to get corrosion on the connections.

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:28 pm

I tried to find some ways to avoid having it touch the tube, but it’s almost impossible. I have to push it further in so the air cleaner can fit in it, but the boot will make a 90 degree angle and have complete contact with it. I also found out that the ignition coil wire doesn’t fit in my coil.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:07 am

That's weird. What's the difference? Has the coil been replaced?

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah I originally replaced it with a high performance coil from my sitting T-Bird, but the slot to insert the ignition wire is too big for the new one.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am

Was the old one bad? Do you still have it. Coils rarely go bad.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 am

I think I got rid of the old one because it was original and leaking some sort of fluid. At this point I’m thinking of exchanging the Standard Blue Streak wires for ones from Accel (Super Stock Spiral).

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Ok. That was the oil that keeps it cool. Buy a new one that fits your car.

The new dizzy wire isn't some oddball size or anything, is it? Is the new boot just too tight to slip over the tower on the coil?

I've often received two different dizzy wires in new wire sets for different applications. Obviously yours just came with one. See if they have another set at the store and see if it came with 8 plug wires and two dizzy wires. Maybe someone took one out of your package. Who knows?

How does the new wire compare to the one you removed?

If you slide the boot back to expose the wire terminal, will the wire click into position in the coil? Maybe you can take the boot off the old wire and put it on the new wire?

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 pm

So the new Accel wires do click into the plugs and the boots fit better on the cap than the Blue Standard because of the smaller diameter. The coil that is on the car right now is not the one that was leaking oil (that was the one I threw out months ago), but I did a multimeter test on the newer one and the primary resistance was about 2.6 ohms (set to 20 ohms) and the secondary about 11 (set to 200k ohms). I also used a bit of starter fluid but nothing happened when I turned it over, so I’m thinking that this issue was more about the coil than the wires or distributor cap.

Also, there was a small cylinder that was connected to the old coil before it took it out. It broke when I removed it months ago and threw it away with the coil. The newer coil on the Toro right now hasn’t had one for these past months, but I don’t know if that does anything. What was it for?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:38 am

Ok. First lesson today is to NEVER throw away any old part until you have a new part actually installed and working on your car. Old parts are useful for comparing size and shape, fit, etc. Old parts sometimes need to be salvaged for small parts like brackets or screws, etc that the new part might not come with.

The little cylinder is a suppression condenser and was probably still good. It prevents static interference on the radio caused by the ignition system. It works in conjunction with resistor spark plugs, resister plug wires, etc.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:16 am

Yeah it probably wasn’t a good idea to throw it away immediately. Should I buy a new ignition condenser? The original radio doesn’t work and I am only using a portable speaker to listen to music. Does this car also have a ballast resistor? If so, what would it look like? And are Accel Super Stock coils good? The one that is on mine right now is a PerTronix Flamethrower.

Return to “Technical Talk”