Comfortron

Post your technical questions and information here.
Jodyamblard
TOA Membership Number: 0

Comfortron

Postby Jodyamblard » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 am

I have had some experience with the Toronado's Comfortron automatic climate control.

The first car I ever drove was a 1967 Toronado. I got to know and made minor repairs to its Comfortron system over the years.

I became the proud owner of a beautiful 1967 Toronado on August 7, 2020.

I had a chance to calibrate its Comfortron system, which works like a charm. And I possess a Comfortron tester model J 22265, which I would be pleased to lend to anyone who may need it (although you can diagnose most of the basics without it).

I would also gladly share my experience, and offer my thoughts to anyone working on the system.

Best, Jodyamblard@gmail.com

IMG_20200806_140919.jpg
IMG_20200806_140919.jpg (170.89 KiB) Viewed 22494 times

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Comfortron

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:11 pm

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the offer. Your car is gorgeous.

My car just has the "normal" heater/blower system.

Jodyamblard

Postby Jodyamblard » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:29 am

Thanks for your comment, Otto.
I love the colour of your Toronado.
It must make quite a hit wherever you go.

Best, Jody

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 am

It was the color that made me buy it. It's called Dubonnet.

I just noticed that your car has the correct thin stripe whitewalls. Are they from Diamondback?
Attachments
IMG_20200811_162609.jpg
IMG_20200811_162609.jpg (373.06 KiB) Viewed 22467 times
IMG_20210109_134155.jpg
IMG_20210109_134155.jpg (409.13 KiB) Viewed 22470 times

toddallen
Years Owned: 66 Toronado

Postby toddallen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Would LOVE your help on getting mine working. I cant seem to control it but it will turn on by itself without notice so know something is working :). Do these cars all have the same heater valve (regular and comforton) ? the prior owner just put in a manual stopcock valve on my car.

Jodyamblard

Postby Jodyamblard » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:19 pm

Hello Todd,

It's great news that it turns on by itself!
Once on, can you adjust the temperature and see if the blower speed or temp changes? You seem to have indicated that you can't control it.

Nevertheless, once it's on, does it JUST blow hot? (you may have to wait for the water to reach operating temp to feel the heat).
If so, not so bad. My next step would be to have to look at the transducer on the floor under the glove compartment.

Let me know before you check it, I have some advice. It's got a delicate wire filament inside the tube that you must be a little careful with.

In any case, when the outside temperature is cold and the comfortron calls for heat, the blower NEVER turns on until the water temperature reaches a certain temperature. So your car may just be normal.

If the comfortron is calling for cooling on a HOT day, I'm not certain if this would still be true (the blower waiting for water temperature). But I'll check this out as soon as I can. I have to wait for a hot day here in Toronto, but it shouldn't be long now.

I'm not sure whether the heater valves were different in different models, but IF this were the case, it wouldn't be hard for you to find the right one on Ebay . Keep in mind that it's a temperature SENSOR that initiates the comfortron's blower motor, not the heater valve (if I've got this right).

Do you have a repair manual for the car that covers comfortron for your year? Please let me know what year it is.

Hope this helps. Please keep me posted, Jody

toddallen
Years Owned: 66 Toronado

Postby toddallen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:37 pm

Thanks! it is a 66. The compressor is toast, so sure it was not cool when it kicked on. When on I can change the blower speed low or high by the switch but will try with the temp control. I have never opened the heater valve yet so sure the heater core is not hot, the valve is closed.
I have never seen anything under the glove box, I just removed it so know there is nothing underneath. The 66 has a grill on the center top of the dash board so think that is the sensor.

Jodyamblard

Postby Jodyamblard » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 am

Hello Todd,

Thanks for your note. 1966 - sounds nice, what color?

I'm glad the blower works on both Hi and Low. A good sign for sure. You might try defrost and De-ice too just to see if the dampers redirect the air to the windshield. By the way, De-Ice should blow at full heat regardless of the temp dial.

Let me know if after the car warms up if you can modulate the fan speed/temp with the temperature dial. I understand about the heater valve so you may not be able to feel hot air. But still let me know if you do or if you can hear the dampers redirecting the air . Try De-Ice to see if the air at the windshield blows hot after the car has warmed-up.

About the transducer: It resembles a tube as in the picture below: It would be on the passenger side affixed laterally on the upper part of the floor (screwed into the carpet) below the glove box. I'm pretty sure you should be able to find it by lying down on the floor. It's sometimes a source of problems, and I want to make sure you have one. See the picture or check out this link: http://www.toronado.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1499

The little grill on the dashboard is one of 3 or 4 temperature sensors for the cabin. Usually bullet-proof.

Please give me a call at (647) 787-4194, and we can talk about this a little more.

Best, Jody
Attachments
Comfortron Transduecr.JPG
Comfortron Transduecr.JPG (59.88 KiB) Viewed 20657 times

monnogram
Years Owned: 2

Postby monnogram » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:10 pm

I am a new member to the TOA and own a 1968 Toronado. Troubleshooting the Comfortron:

1. Heater and defrost worked last winter i.e. hot air out of floor vents and windshield vent. Do I understand taht the outside air temp determines which vents are activated by the temperature knob? Currently, the outside air is 80 and the dash vents are activated regardless of temp control setting. The system switches to windshield vents when Defrost or de-ice is selected. However, I noticed the airflow is much hotter on de-ice but the fan speed does not increase when switching from Defrost to de-ice. The compressor continues to run until system is turned off.

2. System holds pressure, but is low on R12. We tried recharging a few weeks ago, but the regulator frosted up on the low side and we could not get cold air. I have since driven the car and turned the air on and off a number of times. The suel in the compressor clutch has gone away and I am inclined to try another recharge. I don't want to vacuum the system again, so I want to be sure the mechanicals are ok or that any adjustments/repairs can be made with the system intact.
Attachments
Image7.jpg
Image7.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 16365 times

Jodyamblard

Postby Jodyamblard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:13 am

Hello Monogram,

Nice car, by the way.

You're probably right to make certain that the controls (vent & damper actuators, et.)work before you recharge your compressor.
The Confortron controls can be checked regardless of the functioning of the compressor.

The slider control settings are usually quite bullet-proof:
1. De-ice should direct full heat at full fan speed to the windshield (regardless of the ambient temperature);
2. Defrost should direct air to the windshield whose temperature and air speed are regulated by the thermostat wheel (please check if the temperature & fan speed change as you adjust the wheel);
3. Hi and Low should direct unheated (cool) air to the vents or heated air to the floor depending on the 'interior" cabin temperature and the setting on the thermostat wheel. If the temperature is 80, then it may be too hot in the cabin for the thermostat to call for any heating to the floor vent, but you may detect the fan speed lowering as you dial your thermostat to 85, and speeding up as you dial it to 65.

Most often the challenge is to ensure that the temperature and vent outputs on Hi and Lo change as you adjust the thermostat wheel. If this is indeed occurring correctly then this is a sign that the controls are working properly.

Please post again and let us know.

Best, Jody

Return to “Technical Talk”