Comfortron

Post your technical questions and information here.
monnogram
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 2

Re: Comfortron

Postby monnogram » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:51 pm

The temperature and vent outputs on Hi and Lo do change as I adjust the thermostat wheel.
The De-ice changes to very hot air flow but fan speed does not max out.
Pressure check was high on the low side and low onthe high side and the metal tubing was frosting over - possibly an obstruction.
I have been running the system on and off extensively while driving and wonder if that might have eliminated the pressure problem, but won't know for sure unless I recharge the system???

I am not an a/c guru, so talk to to me like a 6th grader.

Thanks for all your help.

monnogram

Postby monnogram » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Also, has anyone had success with any product claining to be a substitute for R12? i.e. Envirosafe.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:20 pm

Just pay the money and fill it with R12

monnogram

Postby monnogram » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:18 pm

R12 is hard to find. I was able to get 3 cans. Not sure I can find more.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:29 pm

The ac shops, at least here in Atlanta, have r-12 that was evacuated from older systems. It's expensive but if you have a working r12 system I'd try to stick with it.

I've never heard anything good about the snake oil replacements when they're mixed with r12. Some corrode the seals or contain butane, etc.

Jodyamblard

Postby Jodyamblard » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:20 am

Hello Monogram,

Well it sounds like the Comfortron controls are working, which is really great news.
The fact that it doesn't go to full fan speed on De-Ice will probably rectify itself with use - mine did.

I will defer to the advice of others about charging the AC. But if you see frost on a pipe, it's probably best to put insulation over it.

If you feel the air is still not cool enough, I will mention that I had a problem with the main damper that controls cool or heat on my car.
It's actuated by a lever that you will plainly see in the engine compartment at the firewall on top of the large Comfortron vacuum diaphragm: a screw in a white plastic frame with a spring.

Before you adjust it, You might want to mark the spot on the adjusting screw (the one with a spring). Then test the system to see in which direction the damper is pushed when you call for cool or heat by changing the temperature on the thermostat wheel. You can adjust the damper accordingly with the screw. Keep in mind as you adjust it that you never want to adjust it such that cool air comes from the floor vent when your calling for heat.

One final note: the damper on my car was actually not seating properly, so I re-seated its rubber seal. But to get to it is a bit of a job. It's located in front of the heater core. Probably not necessary to do in your case.

Keep us posted. Always interested.

Best, Jody

monnogram

Postby monnogram » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:35 am

Today's analycis :

psi readings - 80 psi LO: 121 psi HI.
No cold air (ambient only)
Control unit frosts over
Compressor runs constantly when unit is on

monnogram

Postby monnogram » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Looks like I need a POA valve and an Expansion valve. Where is the best place to order? they are available on Ebay. Is it a good idea to stick wiht oem? Thanks.

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:56 pm

One thing to try for those with non-functional Comfortrons, is to rig a mechanical vacuum regulator to the Power Servo. This way - assuming the rest of the system is reasonably intact- you can get the basic functionality of the system, from full heat to full A/C, but manually.

https://www.mcmaster.com/41585K43/

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:49 am

Im not familiar with the Comfortron. Where in the system would that be installed? Is it meant to take the place of the electric switch?

Return to “Technical Talk”