Best way to remedy rusted dash-panel?

Post your technical questions and information here.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Best way to remedy rusted dash-panel?

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:27 pm

I just picked up a '66 the other day, and it doesn't have it's windshield, and it's obvious why not. The metal panel that goes across the dash, upon-which the windshield is adheared, has a channel rusted in it the entire length of the panel (Except a 2" spot in the middle)

So, I'm wondering what the best way to go about remedying this situation is. Is welding up something the only choice? Are there other cars with a suitable replacement? Can it even /be/ replaced? I haven't done any metal-fab since highschool shop, but I do plan on learning to do so as I go.

Thanks

TOA #839

pfloro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: Best way to remedy rusted dash-panel?

Postby pfloro » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:45 am

I'm not a first gen Toronado expert by any means. However, I don't think this situation can be corrected without a section of the firewall (outer and maybe inner) from a donor car. To fabricate this piece from stock steel might be impossible due to the curvature. This repair will require removal of the dash assembly, outer fenders (inner too?) and mechanical gear attached to the upper section of the firewall.

The 'A' pillars are also rusty as well as the header section. If these areas are not solid, the structural integrity of the body will be compromised.

Give some serious thought about proceeding with this particular car.

Hope this information helps,

Paul
Paul E. Floro
1984 Olds Toronado / Original Owner

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am

pfloro wrote:I'm not a first gen Toronado expert by any means. However, I don't think this situation can be corrected without a section of the firewall (outer and maybe inner) from a donor car. To fabricate this piece from stock steel might be impossible due to the curvature. This repair will require removal of the dash assembly, outer fenders (inner too?) and mechanical gear attached to the upper section of the firewall.

The 'A' pillars are also rusty as well as the header section. If these areas are not solid, the structural integrity of the body will be compromised.

Give some serious thought about proceeding with this particular car.

Hope this information helps,

Paul

Naw, the A-pillars are clean. They have a little rust, but no holes, and not nearly enough to cause any concern. It shouldn't require chopping out anything to do with the fire-wall... on the front-side of the gap, there are holes where the rusted-out part was screwed to the panel under the hood, so it's a seperate piece. And, this is the only thing that's really holding me back on the entire car. Everything else is rust-free.
TOA #839

pfloro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby pfloro » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm very glad to hear this good news... I didn't know it was a separate piece. If you can remove the rusted piece in one section, perhaps a good body shop can fabricate a new one.

Rust is always a little dicey. One never knows just how far along it has progressed. My '84 Toronado (original owner) spent 20 years in NJ and had a fair amount of body rust. Fortunately, the frame was solid and new pieces of metal were welded into the damaged body panels.

Good Luck,

Paul
Paul E. Floro
1984 Olds Toronado / Original Owner

Return to “Technical Talk”