Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Post your technical questions and information here.
Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Re: Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Postby Mikel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:46 pm

Any updates? 8-)

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:12 pm

Yep... sometime last year I had the unfortunate luck to have the bearing for a Timing Chain Idler Gear grenade in my Cadillac CTS Wagon so that put the kibosh on my budget. I need to mill the holes in the Toronado Intake so I can weld the bungs in, and now I have to address the Cadillac first. Before I buy the Milling Machine needed for the Toro I have to buy a Lift so I can swap the engine in my Cadillac.

So now the plan is to put the Holley Sniper I was running back on and hope that the Air Hat I was using is what caused most of my issues. If so then I can drive it for the summer while I fix the Cadillac, otherwise I may have to complete the work first.

The Toro is occupying the bay where the Lift will be installed so I need to be able to move it to use the space.

I guess all of this comes under the heading of "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:14 pm

All those are pretty good problems to have, actually.

It keeps you out of trouble.

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Postby Mikel » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:34 pm

Bummer. Good luck.

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:37 am

Be that as it may, I really would rather be in trouble than have to put a new engine in the Wagon... it came at an absolutely horrible time when I have the cash but cannot allocate it due to being in the process of taking a business from part time to full time and not quite being there yet...

Hoping to get it going this spring.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:42 pm

My previous response probably seemed weird and lacked context.

I meant that you have the ability and the means to make the repairs and you have a backup plan for the Toronado. It's better than a total loss on the car, serious health problems, etc.

Cars can be fixed and its generally fun to fix them.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:40 am

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I just paid my estimated tax bill, been looking at that for some time and it turns out I have that horrible problem of having made a bit more last year than I expected to.

Once all that is sorted out and I have a solid grasp of my revenue I will hopefully be able to start making progress on these projects. I decided to try putting the old EFI back on in the hope that it will work well enough for the season - that will reduce the cost considerably but having my Heat Pump go out was not part of the plan.

Yes, there are worse problems to have, but right now I would appreciate fewer problems. As I noted: Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans...

69OldsSpeed
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby 69OldsSpeed » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:05 am

xgecko wrote:I am using, as noted in my OP but apparently not very clearly, the RPM Aluminum Toronado Intake. I will be welding in the bungs that come with the kit - I originally planned to use the Bosses cast into the Manifold, but they are vertically oriented and I need to angle the injectors at 30 from Vertical to aim them into the intake port.

Hello XGecko. I know this thread is old, but you mention an RPM aluminum Toronado Intake. Is this an Edelbrock RPM product or the Mondello intake? A part number would be awesome. I am contemplating an engine rebuild.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:36 pm

It is the same as the Mondello and was designed by Gary Roberts. At this time it is available from Mondello and Applied GMC (Link below).

Price has pretty much doubled.

https://www.gmcrvparts.com/product-p/455-gm08-006-27.1.htm

69OldsSpeed
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1967 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby 69OldsSpeed » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:27 pm

Thank you. I had delusions that there was a more cost effective source. Maybe I’ll stick with the old Iron.

Return to “Technical Talk”