Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Post your technical questions and information here.
NicolasB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Multipoint EFI for my 1969 Restomod.

Postby NicolasB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 am

Wow, that's a good amount on the engine, but I agree, the fun factor of it makes me forget about how big of a hole it burns in my pocket haha. I like tinkering with something, so that's why most of the old tech on mine works for me. Curious, what mpg did you normally get on yours, considering the new EFI, electric fans, electronic ignition, etc.?

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 am

I see around 18 mpg if I drive sanely. Wondering if this new setup will get me a bit more.
I find it ironic that my AWD Cadillac CTS Wagon gets about 17 mpg... of course, the AWD and mass are major factors, it allegedly weighs about the same, so is far more dense.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 am

Man I'd kill for those numbers haha. For the electric fan, how did you set up yours? Was it difficult to install? I wanted to put an electric fan in front of the radiator (pusher fan), but there's barely any space to install a practical one. I might just get one to replace the clutch fan (puller fan), but don't know if I need to upgrade the alternator. Also, would a single fan suffice? Or should I go with dual fans? I don't want to overcomplicate the wiring, but also want better cooling compared to the stock fan, especially in traffic.

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 am

I found that I needed dual electric fans with a shroud - I custom made one from Aluminum - and it works great.
I upgraded my Alternator a long time ago to a modern unit with 140 Amps.
You nailed the issue, I had overheating issues until I got the shroud set up and more powerful fans. Turns out it requires a great deal of cooling now.
The fans are pretty easy to hook up, but you probably want a sensor involved to trigger them at the appropriate temp. In my case, the EFI Controller deals with that, so I only need the one sensor.

You may need to include a Relay, that will allow the low power signal from the Sensor to control the fans; this is how I have it set up. The EFI Controller controls the Relay, which in turn controls the Fans.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:25 am

Ah okay, and what cfm should I use for the setup? Would 4,000 cfm be good enough?

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:25 pm

I think I went with a pair of Flex-a-Lite 3,000 CFM units, but I cannot recall as it has been about 7 years now. I would go with the highest CFM you can get in a 16" fan that allow 2 to be installed side by side.

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 am

X,

Did you consider something like this from FiTech? My Toro is approaching the end of a very long and painful (second) restoration, and for me, fuel injection, better cooling and front disc brakes are at the top of my list of improvements.

https://fitechefi.com/product/30020-go- ... hp-system/
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:57 am

I first used an Atomic EFI from MSD. It worked well for the most part but was difficult in warm starts and in parking lots. I then switched to the Holley Sniper EFI, and that worked better in parking lots but eventually ran into fuel pooling issues that I did not like, among other things.

I am wondering if the choice of air plenum I chose may have impacted all this, but that happened after I bought a Holley Universal Multipoint kit. I am now working on the jig to hold the intake for the milling of the bungs...

Hope to have it back on road for next season. TBI might work with a standard air cleaner, I went with one that may have messed up the airflow.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:17 pm

I hope it does. If you end up with a completely successful conversion, let us know and post pics, part numbers, etc.

I considered going down that road but fortunately solved my hot start/vapor lock issue by packing the exhaust heat riser crossover passages with refractory cement. So far it starts and runs like a champ.

My new tires are so grippy, though that I can only chirp the front tires instead of boiling them like I could on the old ones.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:21 pm

I fully expect it to work quite well as it will eliminate the wet intake manifold that is the major cause of most of my issues.

Once I get the holes milled, the rest should be pretty straightforward. I bought a TIG welder and have practiced and will practice more until I can get good welds of the bungs, and that is the major challenge - getting the injector bungs in place and the fuel rails properly machined to match. Having been a Machinist, and being a Mechanical Engineer, I expect all this to go well once I determine what machine I will use to make the holes. I am likely to buy a desktop milling machine and then make a jig to hold the manifold at the proper angle and position - this is the major challenge I face, and once that is done everything else will be pretty easy.

I will report my outcome and upload some images. Hoping to have it done in the early spring if all goes well... and then I have to address the dead engine in my Cadillac CTS Wagon... need a lift to get it out, they prefer we drop the engine out from under these days.

Return to “Technical Talk”