Head Gasket Replacement

Post your technical questions and information here.
bcroe
TOA Membership Number: 378
Years Owned: 79 Toronado or Eldorado

Re: Head Gasket Replacement

Postby bcroe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:44 pm

A couple years ago I needed an Olds HEI, had no problem finding a new one on
Evil Bay at a very reasonable price. Been in use since then. My own advice just
get an Olds HEI with the 7mm wires, works way better, no more points to change,
plugs last 100,000 miles, parts are everywhere.

HOWEVER, the HEI Olds small blocks used an air cleaner bumped forward to
better clear the HEI, do not know if the taller big block needs that. And it
needs the ballast resistor shorted out.

Guess Pertronix works, not as resistant to wetted (smaller) wires, better carry
complete spare set, which will not be generally available on the road.
good luck, Bruce Roe

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Cardone rebuilds dizzy's and sells rebuilt ones.

If I were you, I'd convert your stock Dizzy to HEI. Or send it to one of the places that does that for you.

DAVE's small-body HEIsConverts your original points style distributor to HEI system
24 Buffalo Lane
Yerington, Nevada, 89447
775- 722-3294
info@davessmallbodyheis.com
http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Here are three kits to convert your dizzy yourself. You said the internal parts are worn. I'd probably buy a rebuilt one from Cardone and convert it myself to electronic rather than use the Pertronix system.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/old ... +kit,11340

NicolasB
Years Owned: 1969 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby NicolasB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 pm

Okay cool, I'll check them out to see what fits my budget. It's pretty limited right now since I have to focus on the parts for the engine, having the block bored and honed, and having the steering gear box rebuilt or replaced.

Update: I dropped off the block at the machine shop on Saturday morning to have them bore and hone it and have the new pistons (that I will supply) pressed. They'll also turn the crank and add new camshaft bearings. While I wait for them to call me to give me the specific dimensions/tolerances for the parts (take about 2 weeks since they are backed up on work), I'm also looking around for places that rebuild steering gear boxes or thinking of simply replacing it with a new/remanufactured one. Which would be the better option here? One shop said they'd do it for $250 and another said it's cheaper to buy a new one online. Still looking for more prices from other shops.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:59 am

These days I prefer to rebuild original parts rather than purchase new ones. New parts aren't what they used to be.

I had Lares rebuild the steering gear in my mom's 1976 F-150 and it's working perfectly 5 years later. They sell new ones as well.
https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/10969/

Cardone rebuilds steering gears and sells new ones of their own design. I think I'd still prefer to have my original unit rebuilt, though. I think both can be ordered from Rock Auto

https://www.cardone.com/Search?criteria ... ngine=null

Rock Auto sells a complete rebuild kit for about $30 in case you want to rebuild it yourself.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 am

Okay, and how is BBB’s gear box? I noticed that they sell one new on RockAuto. Is it difficult to rebuild the old one myself?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:17 pm

NicolasB wrote:Okay, and how is BBB’s gear box? I noticed that they sell one new on RockAuto. Is it difficult to rebuild the old one myself?

I saw that one listed but I've never heard of BBB. BBB sure seems to think a lot of their product judging by the price compared to everyone else's. I think more research into BBB is needed. Where are they built?

At least with Lares and Cardone, they're rebuilt here in the US and I think Cardone's new one is also USA made.

As for rebuilding the old one, it doesn't look that hard to me. Get a clean work bench, give yourself a few hours of uninterupted time, and take the old one apart laying each piece in order of removal. Assembly is reverse.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:00 pm

I see, thanks! In terms of looking for a rebuild kit, which brand is best? I see multiple on RockAuto but am not sure which one to get in case I do decide to rebuild the box myself.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:15 pm

Personally I would buy the Gates brand kit. Their hoses and belts are USA made and are of good quality.

Interestingly the no name brand at Rock Auto uses the same photograph of the kit as Gates. It's about half the price and guaranteed for 100 years or 1,000,000 miles!

My guess, however, is that one company makes them all and everybody else puts his own name on them.

NicolasB

Postby NicolasB » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Update: So I bought the Gates rebuild kit for the steering box and will pick it up today at the post office. The machine shop also gave me a callback and gave me the go on buying the engine parts. He mentioned this during our talk:

Pistons and Piston Rings: 0.030” oversize
Rods and main bearings: 0.010” oversize

I decided to go with Sealed Power forged pistons (SLP-2323F30) as well as moly rings (SLP-E-243K30). Going to buy the bearings from Cleavite and later on the rest of the parts. Surprisingly, it was easier to find forged pistons than the cast ones and, in cases like RockAuto, were cheaper than the latter (I know Enginetech is cheaper but I’ve never heard of it before nor the mechanic who is helping me rebuild it)! Was thinking of rebuilding the transmission, but a transmission shop told me to check if there’s a modulator on the transmission and see if it’s good or bad first before doing so.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Was your tranny working before the engine problem? If so I'd probably just change the filter,gaskets and seals, and refill it.

Check the condition of your cv joints now.

Return to “Technical Talk”