Trim ring tabs

Post your technical questions and information here.
Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Trim ring tabs

Postby Graniteman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Has anyone had any experience/luck replacing the tabs that hold the trim rings on the wheel?
Any and all input appreciated.
I've got some pretty nice rings but one has one broken off tab and another has two broken tabs, it would be a shame not to be able to use these................. :(
TOA # 70

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: Trim ring tabs

Postby janeg » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:40 am

I have heard Sparky say that it is almost impossible because the tab's metal is a springy type.
you may want to email him directly, email addresses are on the inside front cover of each Driver magazine
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Postby Graniteman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks Jane, and yes you are correct, I think the tabs are probably spring steel, that's why I wondered if anyone had had any luck repairing/replacing them. I'm overdue to talk to Sparky anyway so I'll ask him.
Anyone else have any input?
TOA # 70

ride_there
TOA Membership Number: 400
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe

Postby ride_there » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:39 am

I have had one tab replaced before. A local hubcap shop did the work. This was 5-8 years ago.

Hubcap warehouse inc. Brooklyn park, MN, 651-631-2760

Return to “Technical Talk”