‘67 425 Spark Plugs

Post your technical questions and information here.
gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

‘67 425 Spark Plugs

Postby gmrocket » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:47 am

Hey Folks,

I’ve always used Autolite 85 spark plugs in my ‘67. Engine and tranny just went back into the frame on my years-long resto, so checking-in to see what others are using as it looks like I’m getting closer to firing her up. Thanks in advance!
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: ‘67 425 Spark Plugs

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:02 am

Anything but Champion.

I use(d) AC-43 on the Toronado and the '56 Cadillac. They are the closest to the factory installed AC-45 that was used on both cars and is the in service replacement available today.

If my car was still alive, I was considering trying the NGK 7355 iridium plugs. I use the NGK iriidium plugs on a '66 Mustang to help with oil fouling. They burn hotter and foul less frequently.

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Re: ‘67 425 Spark Plugs

Postby gmrocket » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Thanks Otto - absolutely agree with no Champions. They seem to burn too cool for our cars. Years ago I tried e3s or one those other fancy multi-electrode plugs with terrible results. The Autolite 85s were rec’d to me by Sparky Kalkhoff back in the mid 90s when I first bought my car and they’ve been decent.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Return to “Technical Talk”