ignition switch conundrum

Post your technical questions and information here.
Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

ignition switch conundrum

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 am

After putting in a new wiring harness, I have been hooking up things under the dash (what fun, not!). For the ignition switch I removed the lock cylinder and ignition switch and fit the wiring connector up nice and tight, then put it all back into the dash. For those of you who don't know, to remove the lock cylinder you first turn the key to accessory, push a paperclip into the little hole, and out she pops. You have to remove the lock to turn off the front escutcheon (or bezel) to remove the switch assembly.

Anyhow, after I go things all back in place I went to put the lock cylinder back in. It snapped in but then wouldn't turn or do anything. For a while I panicked knowing that if my key won't turn, I got no ignition, and no way to remove the lock cylinder, YIKES!!

After some finagling the key/lock did finally turn, but it will now only go to OFF, ON and START, which means I can run my car, but I have no ACC, thus no way to ever remove the lock cylinder and/or ignition switch.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might do to rectify this problem?

Hwy78Cruiser
TOA Membership Number: 1373
Years Owned: 1966

Re: ignition switch conundrum

Postby Hwy78Cruiser » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:35 pm

Whew!! (or maybe DOH!). The ignition key I used to insert the lock barrel was worn, I got another key and I am now back to rights with the ignition switch.

If there were a contest for how many little mistakes can you make putting a Toro back together, I would be a top contender :roll:

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: ignition switch conundrum

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:15 pm

I like easy fixes!

Return to “Technical Talk”