transmission seals replaced 66 toronado

Post your technical questions and information here.
dpogue
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 olds toronado - owned since 1967 -

transmission seals replaced 66 toronado

Postby dpogue » Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:55 am

My wife and I are restoring her 1966 Toronado which she bought in 1968 from her neighbor when she got her first job. We have kept it all these years (55 now) and it still runs like a top. However, the transmission drips transmission fluid and it can drop a few drops within an hour and over a month or two we catch several ounces in a tray we keep under it at all times.
- Does anyone know of a garage in the northeast that works on transmissions of vintage autos and might be able to install new seals? We live in Western Massachusetts - the closer the better. thanks! Dwight

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: transmission seals replaced 66 toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:02 am

I would leave well enough alone with a drip as small as that. I wouldn't trust anybody to open up a TH425 and know what to do these days.

I have had EXCELLENT results with Lucas transmission stop leak on small leaks like yours.

dpogue

Postby dpogue » Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:49 am

Otto,

THANKS MUCH! I will purchase the Lucas stop leak and save myself lots of money and time.
Dwight
TORONADO SIDE GOOD AUG 1 23 copy.jpg
TORONADO SIDE GOOD AUG 1 23 copy.jpg (959.1 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

dpogue

Postby dpogue » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:05 am

Otto,

One more question. The drivers side brake lights stopped working for some reason - the three bulbs are all good. The right brake light works.
I noticed yesterday that the left turn signal lever does not firmly snap is as it did - the left turn signal works but I have to make sure the lever is engaged.

Do you think the cause of the brake light is the turn signal switch? I see they are available on line for my (wifes) toronado - which is the standard and not the deluxe model - it does not have the telescoping steering column.

Thanks,

Dwight

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:38 am

Talk about a coincidence. I'm currently having the exact problem with a 1956 Cadillac.

When completing a left turn, the turn signal lever does not return fully to the home position. I have to manually click it into position. If I forget to do it, I end up with no brake lights on that side.

I think you're probably having the same problem. When the signal lever is manually returned to the home position, do all the lights start working?

I'm thinking the turn signal cam in the column is worn out or broken and somehow shorting the brake light circuit. Does your signal lever just droop on that side?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:39 am

Your wife's car is gorgeous. If she ever wants to sell it, let me know.

Is it a deluxe or base?

dpogue

Postby dpogue » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:21 am

Its a base model - no power windows etc.

I just tried the brake lights, the turn signals and parking lights and everything works now. strange. the turn signal lever does not droop and clicks right in like it should for right and left signals. yesterday it seemed to droop a little when turning left.

I am crossing my fingers that all will keep working. I saw your burgundy 66 on line a while back - beautiful car - and was shocked to read about the fire that destroyed it caused by the starter motor. I installed a new starter motor in 2012 on our Toronado and its worked good ever since, but now keep a fire extinguisher in the front floor on passenger side. It took me most of a day to install it as it was in my garage with no lift and no room underneath to work - I recall it being a lot of work due to confined space.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:37 am

I'm not sure what caused the fire.

The starter began to spin the engine while it was burning because some wires got fused together or something.

I believe it was an electrical fire in the dash.

I'm still sad about losing that car. It was a fairly low mileage original car that spent most of its life in various collectors' garages until I bought it.

It was a deluxe but the original buyer deleted the a/c and power windows. It had the deluxe interior , which was beautiful.

Regarding the fire extinguisher. I have kept one in every car I've owned since an underhood fire in my '68 Camaro in college (caused by defective wiper motor).

Anyway, the one in my Toronado proved to be useless. It used up its charge in about 10 seconds. If the fire isn't out by then, it's too late. You would need to carry one of those large commercial size extinguishers to have any hope of putting out an underhood fire on a car.

Return to “Technical Talk”