Tilt/tele column

Post your technical questions and information here.
Chazzer
TOA Membership Number: 146
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Tilt/tele column

Postby Chazzer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey Folks, I have a 68 tilt/tele column I plan on restoring for my 68. This column seems to have a slight problem with the tele part as it doesn't seem to lock in place. Has anyone had any dealings with this situation ?
Cheers, Jim

69W34

Re: Tilt/tele column

Postby 69W34 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello Jim
Unless there is something broken, striped or missing it is an easy fix, it is basically a maintenance issue. I will take photo and post it along with a short description of how to correct the issue, as my camera is out on a job it will be a day or two .....
Bill
TOA #1

Chazzer
Years Owned: 1968 Ocean Mist Metallic, purchased September 2005. Ripped into a kazillion pieces in 2010 for a full blown resto. A few more kinks to work out and she’s almost done.

Postby Chazzer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Great Bill, Look forward to your pixs.
I did take the wheel off and while doing so I believe all pieces are accounted for. One thing I did notice though is, the round bracket that is screwed to the release handle (it also threads down around something). It is slightly bent, not sure if it is supposed to be like this or not. The threaded part is not on a 90 degree angle but is angled off to one side. Not sure if you know what piece I refer to, but you have to unscrew it to access the steering wheel lock nut.
Jim
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Jim
Sorry for the delay its been busy if the photo posts it has labels ... you will have to pull both the horn pad and it backing this may be accomplished in a single action removing the screws from the back of the steering wheel this may/should expose the telescope locking devise. You'll see two screws attaching the locking lever: #1 turn the lever clock wise until it stops. #2 remove the 2 screws holding to the locking lever to the locking dial .. Do Not .. move dial during this procedure #3 locking lever should simply pull up and out. #4 assuming the telescope action is free to move turn locking dial clock wise - one eight, to one quarter turn (this should st some point lock the travel) if not continue to three / eights turn ...#5 Once travel is 'locked' (test while turning dial) reinstall locking lever to the right of center but not all the way to the dead stop (NOTE) the screw holes are are random you will need to find holes in the locking dial that line up with the lever again putting the lever to the right of center. #6 test for full lock and free travel. If still to loose begin again, if limited free travel snug or binding return to #5 remove lever, loosen dial enough that will allow moving locking lever to the right or next set of screws holes.
Attachments
streeing column.jpg
streeing column.jpg (170.29 KiB) Viewed 13759 times
Bill
TOA #1

Chazzer

Postby Chazzer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 am

Thanks for the info Bill, It's mucho appreciated!
I have already removed the adjustment dial so it will require a bit more fiddling around, when the time comes to put it back together I'm sure. If I could talk you in to removing your dial, then you could tell me if the end that attaches to the steering column is at a 90 degree angle or is angled off to one side. Maybe I can figure out how to down load a pix of it.
Thanks, Jim
Cheers, Jim

TOA# 146

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:23 am

That whole process is actual quite easy .... the position of the lever rarely land at the 90* or straight up .... you could get lucky ... however the swing of the locking lever is to insure that it is in a full (firm) lock position then when unlocked still have a completely 'free' travel in and out.
So the window of operation is quite small ......
Bill
TOA #1

Return to “Technical Talk”