Msd ignition

Post your technical questions and information here.
dan68toro
TOA Membership Number: 560

Msd ignition

Postby dan68toro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:09 pm

has anyone converted to msd ignition? I'm considering it. Just looking for some feedback.

thanks,

Dan

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Re: Msd ignition

Postby Schurkey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm

What do you mean by "MSD ignition"?

They make spark boxes (amplifiers) in several different versions; including inductive and Capacitor Discharge units; analog and digital.

They make complete ready-to-run distributors; and distributors that require an amplifier to make sparks.

Some of the MSD line is imported from China; and of marginal quality.

I have used some MSD spark boxes since '79 or so; I still have the first one I bought (non-functional, though). HOWEVER, I've quit buying their spark boxes once I figured out that a plain ol' DELCO HEI is all that's needed--and is WAY CHEAPER. The MSD spark boxes DO look very impressive on an ignition oscilloscope, though.

Again, I'd rather have a used-but-usable DELCO HEI than a BRAND NEW Communist Chinese knock-off of an HEI. I have NO regard for the Communist quality assurance program (none) that seems to be part 'n' parcel of doing business with the most reprehensible nation on Earth.

For more info on HEI distributors, take a look at:
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html

sharkeymark
TOA Membership Number: 675

Postby sharkeymark » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:05 pm

I have much experience with product imported from China. You are absolutely correct they
have no quality assurance program at least those I have delt with. They do not inspect and
test every piece. My experience with gauge mfgs, valve mfgs, and instrument mfgs is at best
93% usuable product and the rest is defective in some other way. In consumer products it might
even be higher. It is almost impossible to buy American made these days as the new sneaky way is to import component assemblies and assemble them. Sometime as shady as a complete product and adding a drain plug, valve cover or some minor assembly to qualify for made in the USA. I have competitors that pull this and preach their product is made in the USA. It's discusting. We have sold ourselves down the river in the trade off of quality versus price. Excuse the soap box!

pfloro
TOA Membership Number: 0

Postby pfloro » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello Everyone:

Regarding MSD or other aftermarket ignition systems, they offer no advantage on a stock engine (over OEM HEI)... My understanding is that they provide a stronger spark above ~5000 RPM. Unless you are building a high reving performance engine, anything more than basic electronic ignition is unneeded. NOW..., If we're talking about a '66 - '74 engine with points ignition, any electronic ignition system is better than points. Over time, points wear and spark quality degrades. GM designed HEI (High Energy Ignition) to cope with leaner fuel mixtures. It's stronger spark allowed the spark plug gap to be widened helping ignite leaner air/fuel mixtures. It was made standard in 1975 but I believe, was an option on selected models in 1974 .

IMHO..., if I had a points system, I would upgrade to Pertronix electronic ignition. Since I'm a stickler for originality, Pertronix only replaces the points & condenser inside the OEM distributor. The OEM external ignition coil can be retained. The only visible difference is two wires exiting the stock distributor instead of one.

I have used Pertronix 'Ignitor' ignition on our '66 Mustang (289 V8) for 8 years. It works flawlessly. Dwell & timing never change and all engine starts are fast & strong. http://www.pertronix.com

Paul
Paul E. Floro
1984 Olds Toronado / Original Owner

novaroger

Postby novaroger » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:21 pm

WOW! Only one question here? Have any of you people been to the MSD plant in Texas ? (im betting NOT!) I have and they are a true manufacturer and I have seen the test stand they use to (burn in) every box for 24 hours. And for the HEI its good till 6000rpm and that it! I have replaced dead modules on the roadside on cars with less than 500 miles on them and for the points guys how many of you have ever had a condenser go bad.

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:56 pm

novaroger wrote:And for the HEI its good till 6000rpm and that it!

Folklore. HEI will go well above 6K, although the spark energy is somewhat reduced--just as a points system can go above 6K (with reduced power).

If you spend a lot of time above 6K, a spark box may make sense--especially if it has a rev-limiter.

Probably not many Toronados spend much time at/above 6K.

gearhead840
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby gearhead840 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 am

HEI distributor? I had heard that there were clearance issues in the 66 toronado. I would like to use one because the junkyards are full of them. Will the 350 cid distributor fit the the 425 toronado? is there an electronic- non-HEI distributor in the olds junkyard? I have had good luck with the Pertronix kits but junkyard parts are cheaper and cooler. thanks

Schurkey

Postby Schurkey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:02 am

gearhead840 wrote:HEI distributor? I had heard that there were clearance issues in the 66 toronado. I would like to use one because the junkyards are full of them. Will the 350 cid distributor fit the the 425 toronado? is there an electronic- non-HEI distributor in the olds junkyard? I have had good luck with the Pertronix kits but junkyard parts are cheaper and cooler. thanks

My '66 has an HEI. There's more room in that engine compartment than you can shake a stick at. The distributor is a mile away from the firewall.

If there's any clearance issue, it's with the AIR CLEANER HOUSING. I grabbed a housing from a mid-'70's Toronado complete with the newer Toro decal on the lid. Not original; works better due to the cold-air ducting of the more modern air cleaner.

The 350 (small-block Olds) distributor will work just fine in a big-block Olds, although like ANY distributor it should have the centrifugal and vacuum advance re-curved to suit the application. (Which means you aren't looking for a newer, computer-controlled distributor. The HEI you want will have a FOUR-pin electronic module, not five- or seven-pin.) There have been rumors of the thrust pad of the 425 being machined differently--I do NOT at this time believe those rumors. IF (big IF) someone can actually verify that the thrust pad in the block is different--I'm all ears.

Just verify that when the distributor is installed and tightened by the hold-down clamp, there's some up 'n' down clearance of the distributor shaft. A few thousandths is all that's needed.

gearhead840
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby gearhead840 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 am

thanks for the HEI info. the stock air cleaner is very kool, i hope to keep it, maybe a dent. i will pick up a 4 pin and try.

Return to “Technical Talk”