66 Toro Ignition system question

Post your technical questions and information here.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: 66 Toro Ignition system question

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon May 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Here we go! All done :D I don't know if it will work yet... my ignition switch is out of the car with the rest of my dash, and my coil decided to brake on me, so I'm waiting for a new one to come Wednesday. Already had it on order anyway.

I added the relay to an existing screw that held on a.... well, I'm guessing it's a vacuum diaphram of some sort... I had to cut the electrical tape back 4-5 inches on the existing wire harness to get the resistance wire to reach over there, but I taped it back up. Cleaned up every connector on that main batt terminal, and added one for this. Grounded it out to that spot over on the left near the hinge on the firewall where there was already an existing ground strap.

If it weren't for the bright colors, and lack of grease/dirt, you'd swear it was original :D

Oh, small note, another downside to wiring it into the fuse box, is getting the wire through the firewall.

TOA #839

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Mon May 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Twilight Fenrir wrote:I added the relay to an existing screw that held on a.... well, I'm guessing it's a vacuum diaphram of some sort...

Vacuum "thingie" for the Comfortron system; as taught to me by the Comfortron Master Hisself, "Dr K".

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Schurkey wrote:
Twilight Fenrir wrote:I added the relay to an existing screw that held on a.... well, I'm guessing it's a vacuum diaphram of some sort...

Vacuum "thingie" for the Comfortron system; as taught to me by the Comfortron Master Hisself, "Dr K".

OOoooh, so /THAT'S/ the "thingie". I was wondering where that was, thanks :D
TOA #839

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm

On second notice about that HEI on summit... it's mechanical advance only... no vacuum... so that one's out.
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Oops. I missed that. Good thing you noticed. I actually have a $40 HEI unit I am rather impressed with. Looking at the claims of the high end units I have no clue if this one is any good, but it sure looks good and seems solid.

I got it from Ebay. They are all over the map, but if you search you can find one for $40:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSMOBILE-DELTA-98-50K-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-OLDS-6503-R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf74179e1QQitemZ330565777889QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

BTW, near as I can tell it will fit with the 68-69 air cleaner. I did not fully test, but did hold the cap over the points distributor on my 68 and it seemed to work. Might not be accurate, though, so I will find out soon, perhaps this weekend if I get the motor finished. Just did the valvetrain lash adjusting this afternoon and am waiting for one last rocker arm nut to arrive as they provided one that was too small. I'll let you know what I find once the intake and carb are installed.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Hmm... we must be talking about different units. This one on Summit is a vacuum advance HEI:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850006/

However, it is full sized. I think that is your basic dillemma. There are options that use a variety of MSD parts, is that something you can consider? I know I am considering an MSD 6AL Programmable ignition as one way to go; the other is a DIS system. There are actually quite a few options these days.

Good luck, and do make sure you end up with some sort of reasonably modern Hi Energy system as it makes a big difference both in tuning and performance.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “Technical Talk”