Generation 1 exhaust

Post your technical questions and information here.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Generation 1 exhaust

Postby bluecab » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Trying to understand the exhaust on the early cars, mine came with just remnants of a system that looks to have been welded up from muffler shop parts, no mufflers in sight!
I see that there should be resonators in the rear from other posts here, but I don't have all the manuals I need yet, so I'm trying to picture where the muffler(s) would go.
I also looked at the Waldron listing, but their photo just looks like a pile of parts.
Can any of you who have functioning cars illuminate me?
Thanks,
David

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: Generation 1 exhaust

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

bluecab wrote:Trying to understand the exhaust on the early cars, mine came with just remnants of a system that looks to have been welded up from muffler shop parts, no mufflers in sight!
I see that there should be resonators in the rear from other posts here, but I don't have all the manuals I need yet, so I'm trying to picture where the muffler(s) would go.
I also looked at the Waldron listing, but their photo just looks like a pile of parts.
Can any of you who have functioning cars illuminate me?
Thanks,
David

There should only be one muffler, and it's perpendicular to the car, right next to the rear axle. Both pipes bend into it, then come out the opposite side and continue on to the rear. Crossing over eachother.
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 am

I can shortly confirm that although the Waldron's picture is for a Riviera they do sell the correct set for Toronados. My exhaust ships today and will arrive early next week and they assure me that it will be correct. Given their experience I can tell you that it seems reasonable.

I will report back what I find.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:43 am

Did you order the stock size / stock muffler? Looks like they have options for oversized tubes and a performance muffler as well as the stainless setup. I will be very interested to see how you like whichever options you picked.
Do the tips have the correct hangers in the rear? Will they accept the chrome tips?
Thanks!
David

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:21 am

I ordered the Stock Aluminized kit with the 'Imposter' muffler which is a richer, more throaty sound you mentioned below as the Performance option. They had a nice sound bite to demonstrate what it will more or less sound like and it was just a bit more the way I want it to sound.

The tips should be as came from the factory according to what they said, and I believe my 69 would never have had any cutouts so I suspect they are terminated accordingly.

The parts should arrive early next week and I will report back what I get.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Willysnut1959
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Willysnut1959 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:20 pm

After viewing the photos of the original round muffler; viewing Waldron's custom muffler price of $279; and after contacting Walker muffler, I have decided to go with the Walker #22395 which is 4-1/4" thick by 9-3/4" wide and 16" long with dual, opposing, 2-1/4" inlets and outlets. Walker's muffler is $52 at Amazon.com which leaves me $227 to spend on the exhaust pipes. Just putting this out there.

Marty, St. Louis, MO
'66 Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks Marty,

I too have been looking at mufflers recently. My original still works but has a slight rust spot developing at the bottom. Probably moisture rusting it from the inside out.

I checked with Waldron as you did and said hell no to a $279 muffler!

So Walker's muffler is an oval shape instead of round? I may just buy one and keep it on the shelf until I need it.

I still have my original resonators and tailpipe tips on the car. They would have to be cut off and re-welded back on.
Attachments
DSC03914.JPG
DSC03914.JPG (421.79 KiB) Viewed 11950 times

Willysnut1959

Postby Willysnut1959 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:50 am

I also ordered a pair of exhaust tips from Summit Racing. They are not exact replicas, but are close enough and much cheaper than the exact reproductions.
Marty St.Louis, MO

johnorado

Postby johnorado » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:10 am

Otto Skorzeny wrote:Thanks Marty,

I too have been looking at mufflers recently. My original still works but has a slight rust spot developing at the bottom. Probably moisture rusting it from the inside out.

I checked with Waldron as you did and said hell no to a $279 muffler!

So Walker's muffler is an oval shape instead of round? I may just buy one and keep it on the shelf until I need it.

I still have my original resonators and tailpipe tips on the car. They would have to be cut off and re-welded back on.

Looks beautiful!

Return to “Technical Talk”