66' Toro Q-Jet Help Please...

Post your technical questions and information here.
pudland
TOA Membership Number: 987
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

66' Toro Q-Jet Help Please...

Postby pudland » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Hello....
I recently got Toro fever! Plum in color and the chrome is not bad either. I bought it inspected a week ago. I ran it through its paces.. easy acceleration(smooth shifting)... floored it(some hesitation like a massive fuel dump and it didnt seem to kick down like I thought it should).... 55 mph, dropped it into "S" hammered the pedal and she took off(again with a burp).... smelled fuel in the passenger compartment. The trans feels healthy. Not a single noise from the motor and the 425 doesn't have a discernible miss to my ear.

So..
I started replacing vacuum lines from the carb out, they were all pretty brittle/loose fitting. Gave her the run through again... acts roughly the same and still smelled raw fuel in the car. I sniffed the tailpipe and it burned my nose and eyes..

I've read that the 66 Toro Q-jets had issues with the diaphragm failing with bad consequences...
I want to freshen the carb up but I see different info as to the jets etc that may be in it. I dont know what to expect to see in it and what kit I should get. I want to keep the car as stock as I can. I found 2 Bulletins: 9D-5(10/1965) and 9D-5(5/1973) it seems I'm missing 9D-5(11/1968).
Which should I use? Where can I find 9D-5(11/1968) if I need it?

Carb info:
Copper colored round tag with a round hole in the center on the driver side of the carb.
Copper tag stamped: C6 RH 7026250 and(some number, I think its a 5 by itself)
Air Horn stamped: 31111
Idle Compensator Cover stamped: RP 29865

Any help is MORE than appreciated.

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: 66' Toro Q-Jet Help Please...

Postby janeg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am

Hi -

The recognized expert on QuadraJets is Greg (Sparky) Kalkhoff. Having your carb refurbished by him is reasonable and will insure years of reliable use not to mention cosmetic and performance enhancements. Please visit his website at www.sparkyscarbs.com.
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Return to “Technical Talk”