1966 Toro Carburetor Help

Post your technical questions and information here.
sworth66toro
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe

1966 Toro Carburetor Help

Postby sworth66toro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:08 pm

sm carb spring.jpg
The spring attached to engine block
sm carb spring.jpg (255.75 KiB) Viewed 12259 times
I need assistance with my carburetor, I think it is missing some linkages, which maybe causing a dieseling problem and poor performance. After the car is warm when you turn the car off it diesels for a few seconds. I've taken a few pics in hopes someone can help identify the problem. There is a spring attached to a bolt on the motor coming from the carb that just doesn't look right. I don't have a reference to compare. Also, the cruise control doesn't work, so I'm assuming that the linkage is not correct. I want to rebuild the carb, but want to make sure everything is the way it should be or correct it at during the rebuild. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
sm carb 7026255.jpg
q-jet model 7026255
sm carb 7026255.jpg (212.96 KiB) Viewed 12259 times
sm cruise.jpg
What I assume is the cruise linkage
sm cruise.jpg (241.08 KiB) Viewed 12259 times

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Re: 1966 Toro Carburetor Help

Postby Mikel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:13 pm

The switch in your last picture is for the kickdown and stall speed change in your torque converter. There is a rod from the throttle shaft in the carb to that switch, which is missing.

sworth66toro

Postby sworth66toro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks, hope it's not hard to find a replacement. Any idea about the spring running to the engine block?

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:20 am

sworth66toro wrote:Thanks, hope it's not hard to find a replacement. Any idea about the spring running to the engine block?

The spring running to your block is your throttle return spring. It's supposed to be there, though that obviously is not the factory orriginal one... That being said, it really doesn't matter as long as it pulls the throttle back to its stop when you have your foot of the gas, and it stretches enough for you to get full movement. If it's not strong enough to pull it to its stop, you'll be idling alot higher than you should be.

And, yes, you are definitely missing the rod that runs to your kickdown switch... The kickdown switch also controls the Switch-Pitch, which not having will make your car slower off the line, or less fuel effecient (Depending on which way the switch is flipped) Difficulty of replacement I couldn't tell you... but it should be easy enough to fabricate one if it comes down to it. It's just a matter of making it the right length. It has to be long enough not to interfere with the throttle, and short enough not to interfere with the full throw of the armiture.

Also, for the record, that's not the orriginal carb. The original was marked with a circular disc on the drivers side beneath the primaries.
Last edited by Twilight Fenrir on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOA #839

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:25 am

This is a VERY old picture of my car... like, from the day I brought it home, so it doesn't look like this anymore >_> But you can clearly see the rod in question... Note, that in this picture, it is actually in the wrong hole on the carburetor arm. Which is why my car didn't run so well originally. There is another hole underneath the throttle cable, and that is where it is supposed to connect.

In addition, you can see the disc that I was referring to that marks the proper era carbs... It's worth noting, mine is also not orriginal, but it is from a '66 oldsmobile. The Toronado's discs were orange, IIRC.

You can also see the throttle return spring...

TOA #839

sworth66toro

Postby sworth66toro » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the information, yeah, I researched the carburetor number and it looks like it was for a 330 engine. With that said, will that have a negative impact on performance? If I want to replace the entire carburetor with a modern carb, what would be a good recommendation?

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Two things come to mind when I saw your last post; first the carb may not flow enough for high load WOT use. Second, the jetting is almost certain to be wrong.

You need to determine what the CFM rating of the carb was for the 330. If it is sufficient - 650CFM would be sufficient - then you can tune the jets and perhaps the accelerator pump and perhaps get good results. Sparky is the best one to ask about this.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

sworth66toro

Postby sworth66toro » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks, I tried contacting Sparky via email and phone but haven't gotten a response.

Return to “Technical Talk”