TSB for '79 Toro THM 325 part 1

Post your technical questions and information here.
Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

TSB for '79 Toro THM 325 part 1

Postby Graniteman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:58 pm

OK guys while looking through some of my junk including all types of printed material from the last 35 or so years I came across this TSB in MotorTech magazine Spring 1982 sooooooo being the nice guy I am I'm going to type it out here for you guys with Toros with 325's:
[color=#8000BF]Transmission oil leak. In some 1979 Toronado THM 325 transmissions, there may be interference between the oil pan and the sprocket cover, resulting in oil leaks. Due to this interference, the pan will not seat tightly against the pan gasket and case. The interference is cuased by the outside diameter of the washer head bolts squeezing the outer pan flange against the sprocket cover.
A redesigned bolt with a small washer head is now being used for production and is available at Olds parts counters. This smaller bolt will prevent the interference.
If an oil leak due to this pan interference is suspected, the first check to make sure that the leak is not actually at the oil-fill pipe-to-case conection. Due to the air stream effect, leaks in these areasmay appear to be located farther back on the trans.
Before attempting leak diagnosis, clean the underside of the trans. with solvent. After cleaning, test drive the car until it reaches normal operating tempature, and then allow it to sit for at least two hours. Check for oil leakage where the TV cable enters the case. If a leak is located at this connection, replace the TV cable seal. The seal is a multi-lip design, and it must be installed in the case before installing the TV cable. An oil leak from the TV cable seal may appear to be a trans.-pan gasket leak. Special care should be taken to determine the exact source of the leak.
[/color]
TOA # 70

Return to “Technical Talk”