'79 THM 325 TSB part 2

Post your technical questions and information here.
Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

'79 THM 325 TSB part 2

Postby Graniteman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:17 am

--------------------- Sorry to have to make this two parts but I hit the 60000 character limit in part 1 -----------------

Check also for oil leakage at the trans. filler tube where it enters the trans. case. Oil leaks from this location can be caused by an incorrect seal size. Correction may require seal replacement. Install the seal into the case before installing the filler tube.
If these first two causes have been eliminated, inspect the corner juction line between the oil pan and the sprocket cover. A slight gap must exist between the pan and the cover, the full legth of the juction. If this gap is not visible certain modifications must be made.
First, loosen the four bolts on the oil pan adjacent to the sprocket cover. Then, using a hammer and a blunt punch or drift, gently tap back the flange on either the oil pan, the srocket cover, or both. Continue tapping the flanges back until a slight gap is obtained. Once a gap has been obtained, replace the four loosened bolts with four of the second design bolts, Oldsmobile part No. 11502670. Torque is 12 ft. ld.

[color=#0040FF]There you have it folks, in all of it's long-winded factory glory. Just thought I'd do my good deed and post this here. I hope that it helps someone sometime. ;)

Mike
TOA #70
[/color]
TOA # 70

Return to “Technical Talk”