Toro Drive Chain Chain Drive

Post your technical questions and information here.
NRGF
TOA Membership Number: 40
Years Owned: 1969

Toro Drive Chain Chain Drive

Postby NRGF » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:43 am

Hi,
After thirteen years or more of reading this forum and the old Toro list before, it has occurred to me that I have never heard of any one having a problem with the drive chain, chain drive. This chain does a tremendous amount of work, takes an enormous amount of strain and is only lubricated with transmission oil. I know most of the first generation Toronados were made well over specification and the chain was pre-stretched but even so after forty five or even fifty years of use and abuse you would normally expect one or two failures. I have never even seen one for sale on eBay or anywhere else. Has anyone here ever had any problems?
Neil
Toro Chain-5.jpg
Toro Chain-5.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 11166 times

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Re: Toro Drive Chain Chain Drive

Postby Eightballz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:25 am

i know a guy who's got a knocking sound coming from the chain-case. i suspect its the chain were several links may be broken.

he's gonna open up the case during february 2015

..but thats the only guy i heard of having problems with the chain

bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:10 am

I think that the chain was purposely over-engineered as Olds did not want to have any issues with it.

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:17 am

I agree.

Early, recurring, expensive problems could have turned a lot of people against front wheel drive. GM knew that was the way of the future and wanted to make sure they didn't do anything to sour their plans.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:22 pm

There is absolutely no question about it. Oldsmobile engineers put more than a million miles on the test mules and beat the snot out of them for this very reason. They knew this chain had to be the last thing that would ever go on the car in order to ensure reliability, and as we now know they succeeded beyond belief.

That chain is used unmodified in the GMC motorhomes which I understand to run around 12,000 lbs Gross. I am not sure of that figure, but I know it is the same chain and trans.

I lost the transfer case in my 2001 Silverado I had back in 2010 and when the shop disassembled it to see if it was worth repairing I saw a smaller version of the exact same link belt used to transfer torque between two shafts in the transfer case. Clearly the design endures.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Schurkey
TOA Membership Number: 67

Postby Schurkey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:46 pm

We're lucky.

GM testing for the Toro was done to assure the production car was built UP to a reliability standard.

GM testing for, for example, the Citation "X" body, was at least as extensive, cost far more, and seems to have been done to assure that all excess quality was REMOVED from the production vehicle.

Based on number of vehicles/market share, GM would have been financially better-off to have totally screwed the pooch on the Toro; and gotten the Citation right. Clearly the opposite happened; and eventually that sort of thinking (engineering the quality and uniqueness out of the vehicle) caused the end of multiple divisions, selling off other trademarks and intellectual property, and still resulted in the need for "too big to fail" Government handouts.

GM has great engineers, led by some of the dumbest upper managers.

Return to “Technical Talk”